The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2015 4:16 pm  #1

The Amazing Story of the Apple

http:/

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 5:40 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/16/2015 5:29 pm  #2

Re: The Amazing Story of the Apple

Glad to see that the York (Imperial) made the list, albeit pretty far down,  But given the York-Lancaster rivalry it still did better than the Lancaster County-developed Smokehouse which didn't make the list at all.

I am blessed to live within three miles of http://www.brownsorchards.com/

Obe fheir best kept secrets is the "seonds" room which is through the double doors off the produce area.  There is nothing other than cosemetic flaws with the seconds at a fration of th price.   My favorite way to buy apples for cooking is to ask them to make me a mixed quarter bushel of some of everything.

Life is an Orthros.

9/17/2015 10:28 pm  #3

It would be a cold day in Hell that I buy a supermarket apple!  Waaay too big, too shiny and waxy looking and much too pricey.  I favor Strite's Orchard in Dauphen County where they grow a variety of all fruits and vegetables.  I fill a qt. box of whatever I want in "stone" products for $4.95, plus whatever else looks good on a visit.  I think York County's Brown's Orchard is much too expensive and since I've no interest whatsoever in any of their entertainments, don't want to pay for it either.

9/18/2015 5:55 am  #4

What are some favorite varieties to cook or bake with?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/18/2015 1:30 pm  #5

Generally, I just eat apples, not cook with them.  Most tv chefs seem to use granny smiths, but it all depends on what's being made--sauce, pie, crisps, etc.  Probably every cook who makes an apple pie has favorites.  A side note to apples--I was at Apple Hill today and noticed one of those highway historical plaques nearby.  It was telling of the York Imperial and the orchard named Springwood on the land which the Apple Hill Medical Complex now sits.  I figured it was so named because of a former nearby apple orchard.

9/18/2015 7:14 pm  #6

For cooking I prefer a mixture...

Life is an Orthros.

9/19/2015 8:49 am  #7

I like the Yellow Delicious, but recently tried the Honey Crisp and I think they are my new favorite.

9/19/2015 9:33 am  #8

For me, it's Honeycrisp or nothing.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

9/19/2015 9:57 am  #9

I'm with a couple of you on the Honeycrisp.  When I bite into an apple, I want to hear a 'snap', then sink my teeth into a tart, solid pulp.  Nothing worse than a semi-mushy, grainy apple.

9/26/2015 2:58 pm  #10

flowergirl wrote:

It would be a cold day in Hell that I buy a supermarket apple!  Waaay too big, too shiny and waxy looking and much too pricey.  I favor Strite's Orchard in Dauphen County where they grow a variety of all fruits and vegetables.  I fill a qt. box of whatever I want in "stone" products for $4.95, plus whatever else looks good on a visit.  I think York County's Brown's Orchard is much too expensive and since I've no interest whatsoever in any of their entertainments, don't want to pay for it either.

a quart box? how many fit in it? does it hold a quart of liquid? I'm trying to compare costs and having trouble imagining a quart of apples could cost $4.95...

Board footera