The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2015 3:05 pm  #1

What To, What To do?

The time is approaching to be rid of the tomato plants.  Right now I have about a zillion green cherry tomtoes and about a dozen of regular tomatoes of various sizes.  It seems shame to just dump them all but I'm not into making a lot of anything anymore.  I might use some of the regular tomatoes for frying but there's way too many of all of them to do much with.  Any suggestions?  I'd be happy to give them away if I knew where to go.  Food banks?

9/22/2015 6:40 pm  #2

Re: What To, What To do?

For regular tomatoes that are green, look and see if there is a faint whitish star on the bottom.  If there is, you can pick them and keep them and they will eventually redden and ripen.  Without the whitish star, they won't.  I pick all my green tomatoes with  this star before the frost hits, save them in a dish to ripen and sometimes I have these ripened tomatoes up until Thanksgiving.  They aren't as good as a fresh summer garden tomato, but they are better than the pink winter tomatoes they sell in the stores.

9/22/2015 6:44 pm  #3

Thanks for the tip, Florentine. I never was aware of the star on the bottom and will look tomorrow..  Why does that make a difference whether a tomato ripens or not?

9/22/2015 6:47 pm  #4

I am guessing without this star the tomato is too immature to ripen.  With the star it will.

9/22/2015 8:04 pm  #5

The time is approaching to be rid of the tomato plants.

Serious question: Is it really time to get rid of tomato plants? At least in the Philly area, we have 75 degree temps during the day and we're in the mid 50's at night. The tomatoes should be still be able to grow at those temps, right?

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

9/23/2015 5:56 pm  #6

Cool nights really slow down tomatoes ripening.

9/23/2015 6:00 pm  #7

florentine wrote:

Cool nights really slow down tomatoes ripening.

That's what I thought as well. They will keep growing, but unless you like green tomatoes, there isn't much point.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/23/2015 9:23 pm  #8

Tomatoes need hot, humid days and nights to fully ripen,and yes, the temperatures are still warm in the day time, but now cool at night.  I'm thinking toward the first frost or sooner to be rid of this mess.  I have my tomatoes planted where there is full sun from sun up til late afternoonand now they've grown into the lawn and out into the driveway and the mess looks horrible in my front yard. I think I'll first cut back some of the cherry tomato plants and wait a little longer in hopes some of the large tomatoes at least begin to show pink.  Those I'll keep and use one of the many ways to help them fully ripen.

9/26/2015 3:03 pm  #9

how about aking a tomato, onion, bacon jam??? or any combination of these delicious items? you can make a green tomato salsa too...

9/26/2015 3:33 pm  #10

I studied many recipes on the internet for using green cherry tomatoes, including lots of different jam recipes, but I'm no longer interested in doing anything that requires storing in jars.  This is the first year I've not made strawberry jam in 12 years.  I only have a top freezer compartment in my fridge and it is stuffed full so there's little to no room to store jars of anything.  Very soon it will be time to make the chicken corn soup and I need to find room to store those containers.  Fortunately, a niece is coming from Washington, DC for a few days visit and we'll wipe out some of the freezer food.  I'm thinking of contacting some of the local food banks to see if any would like any green tomatoes so others could use them. 

Board footera