The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2018 3:33 pm  #1

The Evangelical Movement is Dead

From a religious standpoint the term "Evangelical" has become meaningless.
They are just another political interest group.

Evangelicals gave Trump a ‘do-over’ on bad behavior, says Family Research Council president

When asked how Christians were able to overlook President Trump’s behavior to support him in the presidential race, Tony Perkins said evangelical voters essentially gave the business mogul a “do-over.”

“We kind of gave him—‘All right, you get a mulligan. You get a do-over here,’” Mr. Perkins, president of the social-conservative think tank the Family Research Council, said in the latest episode of Politico’s Off Message podcast, published on Tuesday.

He said evangelicals were “tired of being kicked around by Barack Obama and his leftists. And I think they are finally glad that there’s somebody on the playground that is willing to punch the bully.”

“You know, you only have two cheeks,” said Mr. Perkins. “Look, Christianity is not all about being a welcome mat which people can just stomp their feet on.”

The comments come after the Wall Street Journal reported that Mr. Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen, created a private Delaware company to pay adult-film star Stormy Daniels $130,000 in return for her silence one month before Election Day.

Last edited by Goose (1/25/2018 5:42 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/25/2018 8:26 am  #2

Re: The Evangelical Movement is Dead

This is another one of those weird things we've learned in the age of Trumpim.

I had always thought that evangelicals were detrimental to politics because they were uncompromising and inflexible.

It turns out that they will look the other way to those things they claim to be against (adultery, smut, cultural rot, etc.) so long as it suits their political purposes.

Which is ironic because they can't push an agenda when their so-called leader is neck deep in the things the purport to hate. 

Nothing matters anymore.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/25/2018 10:14 am  #3

When is a christian NOT a Christian ?  It is kind of becoming evident. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/25/2018 3:10 pm  #4

I don't even consider these evangelical organizations to be christian entities at all.
They are political lobbying groups. Their goal is to maintain their group's most favored status within our otherwise secular government. And they want to use their power to restrict the freedoms of those who are not part of their group.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/25/2018 4:00 pm  #5

From my golfing experience, a mulligan is only granted once per 18 holes . . . Not one for every hole on every round of golf.

But then, I was never invited to play at Mar-A-Lago or any one of the other Trump golf resorts. I guess they have different rules.

I don’t seem to remember these evangelical groups granting Bill Clinton a mulligan, or their membership being so gracious to women seeking aid at Planned Parenthood. Perkins and people of his ilk are nothing but “righteous” hypocrites.

1/25/2018 5:14 pm  #6

There is a power struggle taking place within evangelicalism since all of the big players of the last century (Billy Graham, Jerry Falwell, and Francis Shaffer) are now dead.   A new troika has not yet emerged.  The young Turks are posturing, hoping to assert their dominance and enrich their own empires.

Cynically, this parallels what happened in Islam following the death of Mohammed.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera