The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2016 10:15 pm  #1

The bounty of Succession

Half a century ago, the acerage where my house stands was cropland, tilled by an old-school farmer whose mule team could traverse a slope too steep for a row-crop "Johnny popper".  

After his demise, nature took its course, meaning that unhyradized grasses quickly gave way to various undergrowth and fast growing, shallow rooted trees like honey locusts, ashes and cherries.

Now the locusts, ashes, and cherries are dying off as they are overtaken by tulip poplars and oaks.

The cherries and ashes need to be sectioned and split into firewood within five years, or they disintegrate into the forest floor.

The locusts can wait much longer--a decade or two--for when uncut and unsplit they can last seemingly indefinitely.

Succession is keeping my woodrack filled for (probably) the rest of my life.

Now THAT is an annuity! 

Life is an Orthros.

12/29/2016 10:49 pm  #2

Re: The bounty of Succession

Mother Nature sometimes pays dividend.  In your case--an ample supply of firewood. 

1/01/2017 6:01 am  #3

The present is but a snapshot of reality.

With the dimension of Time added, we come to a fuller understanding. 

Last edited by Goose (1/01/2017 6:24 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/01/2017 6:41 pm  #4

Spot on.

Nature is dynamic.

I will not see it; but my son should inherit woodland that is almost free of thicket and undergrowth, topped by a canopy of oak and poplar.

He'll need to buy firewood.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera