The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2015 8:25 pm  #1

Any garden plans for spring?

I think I will be changing my garden from mostly annuals to a bird station with feeders, birdbath and some perrenials.  I want more herbs for the herb garden...oregano, parsley, chives, tarragon, rosemary and thyme.   I'm going to let some areas go back to lawn.  Don't have the energy anymore to spend hours deadheading and working in the garden.

Do you grow anything?

1/30/2015 9:17 pm  #2

Re: Any garden plans for spring?

I rent so no plans for outdoor improvement.

I would like to grow some herbs for cooking.

I would absolutely love to grow some weed.  Hoping PA gets on board.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

1/30/2015 11:35 pm  #3

When I had a house with a nice, big yard, I planted a 30'x40' garden yearly with all sorts of things,including, but not limited to, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, patty pan squash, yellow squash, slicing cucumbers, sugar baby watermelon, zucchini, and even tomatillos one year (salsa verde!).

Single life has downsized me to a lovely townhome with a deck, and this year for the first time I will be trying out container gardening on the deck.  Not exactly sure what I'm going to attempt to grow yet, but some banana peppers, green peppers, and patio tomatoes will probably be in the mix.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

Carpe Diem!

2/02/2015 6:04 pm  #4

Goose wrote:

I love cilantro, but it rapidly bolts and goes to seed.
And for some reason, I can't seem to grow a decent bell pepper in a container.

I love cilantro too Goose!  I forgot to mention I did have a few cilantro plants in my garden, but encountered the same issue with them bolting and going to seed too quickly.  I couldn't use the cilantro quickly enough before it bolted.  I found Sustainable Seed Company carries a variety of slow-bolting cilantro seed, so I'm tempted to give that a try in the container garden this spring.  I have an amazing, simple recipe for cilantro cream sauce which is great on enchiladas, tacos, and even as a dip; I will post it in Wine and Brie Party.

I too have not had success with growing bell peppers in a container.  It seems the container limits the spread of the root system which stunts the growth of the peppers.  Banana peppers are extremely prolific when grown in a container, so they will definitelly be included in my plantings this year.

Last edited by Dream Realm (2/02/2015 6:05 pm)

Carpe Diem!

2/03/2015 10:24 pm  #5

I'll continue with tomatoes, banana peppers, lettuces, onions and maybe something else.
I must continue my battle with moss along the edges of the lawn.  I've gone thru all of the usual remedies but nothing is working and I'm running out of ideas.  Open to suggestions.

2/03/2015 10:43 pm  #6

flowergirl wrote:

I must continue my battle with moss along the edges of the lawn.  I've gone thru all of the usual remedies but nothing is working and I'm running out of ideas.  Open to suggestions.

I'm not even attempting to fight the moss and lichen takeover.  Means less mowing, less gas....and free scenery material for the model railroad.   It stays green year 'round and is softer walking.

Life is an Orthros.

2/06/2015 10:39 am  #7

When we first moved into our place some 40 years ago, we developed a full vegetable garden with tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, corn, beets, onions, lettuce, and others. We also planted trees - pine trees, mimosa, dogwood. My wife established several flower beds with perennials and would add annuals etc. So the flower beds continue to blossom from spring through fall. I have planted some dwarf fruit trees over the last five or six years so we have some apples, pears, and a peach tree that finally gave us some peaches last year. I got 10 flowering trees from the Arbor Day foundation last fall that I planted and marked so it will be interesting to see how they fare.

We haven't done a vegetable garden for years. Two brothers we've watched grow up as neighbors took over their grandparents farm and have fresh, home grown vegetables and fruits for sale and we can just walk down the road and get what we need at a good price. My wife has containers planted with various herbs she uses in cooking.

As we've gotten older, we are less able to keep up with all the gardening, but still find it somewhat therapeutic.

2/06/2015 2:48 pm  #8

I too can no longer do much in the gardens anymore.  I am very fortunate that the young man who works full time for Upper Allen Township is able to cut my lawn (and others) and is more than willing to do the heavy gardening like digging holes for posts or plantings, some trimming and mulching.  I still love to do what I can and this year hope to pay more attention to container gardening.  I never had good luck with it, mainly because it wasn't given the attention required.

3/03/2015 2:54 pm  #9

I will try a couple containers this year, my first attempt at southern growing. I have to figure out the dynamics of my little porch since we get direct sunlight and it can get blistering. Maybe tomatoes, peppers and some pole beans. Any recs for good and hardy veggies that like intense sunbathing?

3/16/2015 6:28 am  #10

Goose wrote:

Joey wrote:

I will try a couple containers this year, my first attempt at southern growing. I have to figure out the dynamics of my little porch since we get direct sunlight and it can get blistering. Maybe tomatoes, peppers and some pole beans. Any recs for good and hardy veggies that like intense sunbathing?

I'm thinking along the same lines; peppers beans and tomatoes.
You are going to have to be fanatical about watering, as those containers will get bone dry in a flash.

Saw this cool idea for a self-watering container to make that could help with that.
http://extension.umd.edu/growit/food-gardening-101/self-watering-containers-converting-5-gallon-bucket-mini-garden

Board footera