The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2015 12:32 pm  #1

Maple Syrup

Mapl

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 6:15 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/09/2015 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Maple Syrup

My cousin Don Bratton and a brother-in-law sap their maple trees in a holler in Juniata County.  He holds demonstrations of mapling every spring at York's Rocky Ridge park, even sets up a carved out log over a fire to demonstrate how native Americans boiled down maple syrup with hot rocks.  Their maple syrup is excellent but since they prooduce a small amount it sells out quickly.  I buy some good stuff from Canada's BC at Sam's Club in York.

2/10/2015 8:57 am  #3

I saw this on TV recently and found the whole subject fascinating.

2/13/2015 4:42 pm  #4

Don sealed his first 17 pints in jars last night in 10°.  He posted a photo on facebook but I don't know how to post it here.

2/13/2015 5:04 pm  #5

That's great, Flower.
We are still in such an icy grip here in MA that the sap is not yet flowing.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/13/2015 10:18 pm  #6

How are you dealing with all that white stuff?  People up there must be out of their minds by now and there's more coming.  It's one thing to get huge snow storms but another to not get warmer temperatures to help melt and make it disappear.  I'm barely coping with these god-awful frigid temperatures.  It's hard to tell what frame of mind I would be in living up there.

2/14/2015 7:58 am  #7

Goose wrote:

More snow on the way,,,,,,

From what I'm reading about the wind potential here's hoping you won't be wishing you had a generator.

Life is an Orthros.

2/14/2015 8:37 am  #8

Yea, this weekend might get me to finally throw in the towel and open up the wallet.

2/20/2015 9:15 pm  #9

Your Maple Syrup post made me dig out a vintage book I had bought a few years ago. It's called 'Amateur Sugar Maker' by Noel Perrin. If you can find a copy, I recommend it highly. It reinforces my constant threat to everyone when I'm stressed out to "leave all this shit and move to Vermont and be a damn maple syrup farmer".

Board footera