The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2015 2:15 pm  #1

I've Had it With This "thoughts and prayers" Crap

How about you?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/san-bernardino-shooting/thoughts-prayers-backlash-after-san-bernardino-shooting-n473336?google_editors_picks=true

Like the Daily News headline says, "God Isn't Fixing This".

Last edited by Just Fred (12/03/2015 2:28 pm)

12/03/2015 6:23 pm  #2

Re: I've Had it With This "thoughts and prayers" Crap

Rand Paul is very offended that people don't think praying will fix this.

12/03/2015 8:34 pm  #3

I don't have a problem with people offering "thoughts and/or prayers". There are 14 families in California and 3 in Colorado who may have nothing left but thoughts and prayers and probably need them more than anything else.

That said, it rings hollow for politicians when they are the folks who can do something,like putting together a set of sensible gun laws and strengthening mental health care.

But we know that's not going to happen, is it.

There was a thing I read yesterday. I don't know who wrote it, but I think it's one of the most true things I've ever read:

"In retrospect, Sandy Hook was the end of the debate for gun control in this country. Once America said it was ok to kill children, there wasn't really much more to say."

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

12/03/2015 11:10 pm  #4

Since Sandy Hook this country has had ample time to bring about changes and the politicians did nothing but blame Obama.  Is it any wonder the Mexicans are returning to Mexico! 

12/03/2015 11:29 pm  #5

Lager--the actual quote by Don Hodges of the Daily Telegraph is : In retrospect, Sandy Hook marked the end of the U. S. debate for gun control.  Once America decided killing children was bearable it was over."  How very sad for us. 

12/04/2015 6:03 am  #6

I'm with you, Fred. When "thoughts and prayers" is a reflexive statement that is followed by a complete lack of action and a near immediate return to business as usual, it becomes nothing but an insult.
Shove your thoughts and prayers

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/04/2015 7:56 am  #7

Pray as though everything depends on God, for it does.

Work as though everything depends on you.

Life is an Orthros.

12/04/2015 7:59 am  #8

Good thought, T.

Reminded me of this from 1961.

"With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own."

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/04/2015 4:13 pm  #9

December 4, 2015

Senate Republicans vote down legislation that would block suspected terrorists, felons, mentally ill from buying guns
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/senate-gop-votes-terrorist-gun-bill-article-1.2454448?cid=bitly#_gus&_gucid=article - news - top&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=af754tQ

But, hey, look on the bright side.
At least we got all those nice thoughts and prayers.

12/05/2015 5:00 pm  #10

I can't wrap head around any of this anymore.  It's all too--I don't know anymore.

Board footera