The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2015 6:38 am  #1

Holiday Recipes

What family classics will make your holiday season complete?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/01/2015 8:50 am  #2

Re: Holiday Recipes

Here is our family Sand Tart recipe:

MY SAND TARTS

2 C. sugar (1 lb)

yolk of 6 eggs

1/2 lb butter, softened

2 C. flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cream of tartar

Cream sugar and butter. Add yolks. Mix flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar and add to butter mixture. Form dough into a log and chill. Heat oven to 375'. Slice cookies as thin as possible (paper-thin) and put on an ungreased cookie sheet. If dough gets too warm and doesn't slice well, rechill for easier slicing.   Sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles. Bake until cookies just begin to color,  about 8 minutes. Cool a few moments and remove from cookie sheet.

Last edited by florentine (12/01/2015 1:55 pm)

12/01/2015 12:39 pm  #3

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH, SAND TARTS!!!!!!!!!!

Hands down my favorite.  Yum-Yum.  I understand, however, that sand tarts are not easy to make and require some muscle to flattened them out properly.  Sand tart makers are held in the highest esteem by me.

Last edited by Just Fred (12/01/2015 5:43 pm)

12/01/2015 1:51 pm  #4

I make my dough into a log and slice very thinly.  I didn't make that clear on the recipe.  I will go back and fix..

12/01/2015 2:20 pm  #5

Florentine--that's a whole lot of egg yolks for one recipe.  I'm disappointed that you "slice" instead of using shaped cookie cutters.  It was always so traditional in my family and I still do it.  Yeah, it's a real chore but the results are more than worth it.
Here's my sand tart recipe:  1/2 lb. butter
                                             1 1/4 C. sugar
                                             2 eggs, separated
                                            1 tsp. baking powder
                                            2 1/2 C. flour
                                           Cream butter, sugar, add egg yolks & beat til light.  Add dry ingredients & mix 
                                           well.  Chill dough for at least several hours or overnight.  Remove  about 1/4 of 
                                           the chilled dough to roll out and cut with cookie cutters. Place on greased  
                                           cookie sheets and bake at 350° for about 8 minutes.  Repeat until all dough is
                                           used.  Decorate cookies as desired.

12/01/2015 7:03 pm  #6

Flowergirl, I bet yours are a lot prettier than mine.  As for the egg yolks, don't eat these before a cholesterol test.  LOL

12/02/2015 10:26 am  #7

I'll not make them but will know what they are when seen on a restaurant menu.  Thanks. 

12/06/2015 8:56 pm  #8

ooohhh nice.... now why would this Rican NOT like something fried???

Board footera