The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/23/2015 7:55 am  #1

Thanksgiving

W

Last edited by Goose (3/05/2016 6:55 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/23/2015 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Thanksgiving

We are going to my husband's ex-wife's house for Thanksgiving.  We are a huge blended family and it's just easier and less stressful to get everyone together there in her large house.  There should be about 30 people or more ..We're having turkey, ham, and I'm sure my stepson will smoke something in his smoker.  The guests will bring a ton of food, I'm sure.  We are bringing gallons of Carmen's ice cream and I'm making  my late Mother's famous peanut butter sauce to go on top.  I'm sure this will be interesting.  LOL

11/23/2015 10:39 pm  #3

I too will be sharing food with a large group of family.  My own are scattered all over the country so I spend the day at the local grange hall in Juniata Co. as I have done every year since moving here in 2001.  There are cousins by the dozens (really!) and now 2nd and third cousins who all bring tons of food, including two cut up turkeys, a ham and more sweet potato dishes ever seen at one meal.  There are many other sides of every description and desserts galore.   My contribution every year is to make the family chocolate cake, baked in my grandmothers pan which I make sure I bring home with me.  At the end of the meal the leftovers are divided into plastic deli containers for anyone to take home if wanted. I usually bring enough for two complete meals and enough mashed potatoes for another meal of potato cakes.  This is a day I very much look forward to every year because I do not do this kind of cooking any more and rarely get this kind of great food any other time.

11/24/2015 9:14 am  #4

Whatever the catch of the day is in Providenciales, Turks & Caicos islands with some family members.

11/24/2015 9:34 am  #5

I'm going to Rongone's place!

Actually, I'm headed to my nephew's house.  It's his first crack at hosting a Thanksgiving dinner.  I believe he has an ulterior motive, though.  He's a big Detroit Lions fan and he knows I'm an Eagles guy, so I'm guessing it could get a bit lively at some point.  Although, watching the Eagles has become rather painful, so I'm sure adult beverages and Rolaids will come in handy for me.

Enjoy the holiday ................... it's one of the few that hasn't been corrupted as Goose alluded to in his opening paragraph.  It's all about food, family, and friends.  I like that.

11/24/2015 6:44 pm  #6

One of our godfamilies has invited us to join them for a feast which will include two turkeys and three ducks...traveling a moderate distance our contribution will be wine.

Life is an Orthros.

11/25/2015 3:53 pm  #7

Just Fred wrote:

I'm going to Rongone's place!

Actually, I'm headed to my nephew's house.  It's his first crack at hosting a Thanksgiving dinner.  I believe he has an ulterior motive, though.  He's a big Detroit Lions fan and he knows I'm an Eagles guy, so I'm guessing it could get a bit lively at some point.  Although, watching the Eagles has become rather painful, so I'm sure adult beverages and Rolaids will come in handy for me.

Enjoy the holiday ................... it's one of the few that hasn't been corrupted as Goose alluded to in his opening paragraph.  It's all about food, family, and friends.  I like that.

Yeah, for some reason, we're going to head down to my in-law's house in Delaware early tomorrow to watch that dumspter fire of an Eagles team.

My mother-in-law is a genius in the kitchen. She sticks to the traditional fare, but she does it about perfectly. My favorite dish is the sage sausage stuffing. 

I, of course, am in charge of the beer and I'm pretty proud of the brews I've selected for this year's turkey day activities.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - A perpetual favorite of mine this time of year, the"fresh hopped" IPA pairs well with football and gets the day started right. 

Rogue Farms Pumpkin Patch Ale -- Surprisingly, this beer has passed Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale as my favorite pumpkin beer. The pumpkins, malts, and hops are all grown on Rogue's Brewery's farm in Oregon so it's supremely fresh. A great balance between the pumpkin and the spices they add to the brew (Orange Peel, Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamom, Vanilla, Ginger & Nutmeg)

Yards Old Bartholomew Barleywine - A shareable 25 oz bottle for sipping prior to, or with appetizers. Will certainly warm up the place. Gotta keep my father-in-law from pouring a pint for himself (he's done it before)

[url=http://www.ommegang.com/#!beer_hennepin]Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Saison[/url] -- Let everyone else enjoy their white wine, this is what I pour with my Thanksgiving dinner. Pairs awesomely with the Turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. Spicy and hearty. 

Southern Tier Creme Brulee - A sweet beer that has chocolate, caramel, and vanilla flavors. Pairs well with pumpkin pie, pecan pie, just pie in general. Also good on top of soft, premium vanilla ice cream if you can believe it.

Have a great day everyone. I am thankful for this board and all of you.

Gobble to you wobble!

Last edited by TheLagerLad (11/25/2015 3:57 pm)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

11/27/2015 9:51 pm  #8

After-feast report:

The wonderful family who welcomed us to their feast had the obligatory roast turkey AND roast duck (being a dark meat lover that was my favorite fowl) accompanied by mashed potatoes, an Italian sausage, sage, and Asiago cheese stuffing, cornbread stuffing, succotash, green beans al dente, sweet potato stackers (layered with olive oil and rosemary), cranberry/orange relish, and a baked brussel sprout dish (layered onion, bacon, and sprouts topped with feta cheese, nuts, and cran raisins).

Life is an Orthros.

11/28/2015 7:22 am  #9

Sounds awesome, T.
You know, I don't think that duck gets the attention it deserves from many American households. I love it.

Having a second Thanksgiving today with my parents in northern PA.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera