The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2015 10:47 pm  #1

Seems like way more commercials on tv?

Probably so.  I kept track of commercials and CBS promos when Sixty Minutes came on tonight. Even before beginning the first segment there were 7 commercials and 2 promos for CBS' shows   During the show there were 15 more commercials plus 11 promos for other CBS' shows.  That's 35 commercials/promos during a 60-minute show!  Now wonder I sometimes fall asleep or forget what I was watching until the show continues.

11/08/2015 11:26 pm  #2

Re: Seems like way more commercials on tv?

Commercials are getting shorter:   15 or 20 second spots instead of 30 or 60.  So there are "more" being crammed into the same amount of broadcast time. 

What I find particularly irritating are the short spots (like the M & T Bank "free" checking) that appear twice and sometimes thrice in a commercial slot.

Life is an Orthros.

11/09/2015 8:36 am  #3

My wife gets irritated with those M&T back-to-back commercials. There are other commercials that employ a similar tactic. I don't know if they do it consciously or if the station/network/provider is just cramming the contracted commercials into a spot.

There are plenty of studies out there that tell you how many minutes in a network TV show are dedicated to commercials as opposed to the show. Most say that in a typical 30 minute show, 21 minutes are content and 9 minutes are commercials. In a typical 60 minute show, you get about 43 minutes of content and 17 minutes of commercials. This varies by network & provider plus the popularity of the show. More watched shows seem to have more commercials because, as Tarnation said, they are shorter. The networks can charge more for commercial time in popular programs, so advertisers pay premium price for shorter commercials. Capitalism at its best.

11/11/2015 1:33 pm  #4

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.... I love to watch recordings and skip right over them!!!

11/12/2015 8:03 am  #5

Wait until they start adding commercials while the show is running.

If it hasn't happened yet, it will.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

11/12/2015 9:35 pm  #6

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Wait until they start adding commercials while the show is running.

If it hasn't happened yet, it will.

The technology is certainly there....the Fox News crawler at the bottom of the screen could be put on every program.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera