The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/12/2015 8:40 pm  #21

Re: Urban Outfitters "work for free"

Brady Bunch wrote:

I've been a "salaried" employee most of my life, and each place I worked has had a different culture.  Some would have definitely held it against me if I didn't volunteer and some wouldn't care less.  I even worked for one company who would give "salaried" employees "comp" time if they worked more than 40 hours per week, which allowed us to take the the extra time off later.

After many years of being virtually self employed I am discovering what it is like to be salaried.

In my workplace, salaried employees are supposed to be on the job during the normal 40 business hours....40 hours is a minimum which can be and often is exceeded with no comp time.   If you come in early don't expect to go home early.  If you stay late don't expect to come in late.

At my age and stage I don't want or need overtime pay---I want comp time.

Life is an Orthros.

10/12/2015 8:43 pm  #22

Tarnation wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

I've been a "salaried" employee most of my life, and each place I worked has had a different culture.  Some would have definitely held it against me if I didn't volunteer and some wouldn't care less.  I even worked for one company who would give "salaried" employees "comp" time if they worked more than 40 hours per week, which allowed us to take the the extra time off later.

After many years of being virtually self employed I am discovering what it is like to be salaried.

In my workplace, salaried employees are supposed to be on the job during the normal 40 business hours....40 hours is a minimum which can be and often is exceeded with no comp time.   If you come in early don't expect to go home early.  If you stay late don't expect to come in late.

This is nothing new though.  This has always been how salaried positions work.  Perhaps the argument should be salaried positions should be outlawed, and all workers are hourly? I wouldn't disagree with that.

10/12/2015 8:44 pm  #23

Agreed. I once was an employer.
People were expected to work extra to get the books done at the end of the year. But I always took care of them. And I never added duties beyond their job description.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/12/2015 8:45 pm  #24

The Man wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

This is nothing new though.  This has always been how salaried positions work.  Perhaps the argument should be salaried positions should be outlawed, and all workers are hourly? I wouldn't disagree with that.

You never answered the question about whether there were an limits as to what a salaried employee might be required to do

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/12/2015 8:50 pm  #25

Tarnation wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

I know what you mean.  I am salaried now, but my current position for the most part only requires the normal work hours.  I recently had the opportunity to apply for my supervisor's position, but that is one where they expect you to be on call 24/7 (I can't tell you how many emails I received at 4 am or 6 pm on Sunday nights).  I decided the extra pay wasn't worth all the extra work and time.  And there would have been no comp time with that promotion.

10/12/2015 8:53 pm  #26

Brady Bunch wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

I know what you mean.  I am salaried now, but my current position for the most part only requires the normal work hours.  I recently had the opportunity to apply for my supervisor's position, but that is one where they expect you to be on call 24/7 (I can't tell you how many emails I received at 4 am or 6 pm on Sunday nights).  I decided the extra pay wasn't worth all the extra work and time.  And there would have been no comp time with that promotion.

So, i appears that you are not looking for additional, weekend, team building, opportunities?

10/12/2015 9:41 pm  #27

Weekends were made for Michelob.

Life is an Orthros.

10/13/2015 4:27 am  #28

Tarnation wrote:

Weekends were made for Michelob.

Indeed!

10/13/2015 4:58 am  #29

I would like to hear from those who have no problem with the Actions of UO.
What lines do you believe that an employer should not cross with salaried employees?

10/13/2015 5:17 pm  #30

I am fortunate to work for an employer that understands the concept of work-life balance and discourages employees from working extra hours just to try to make themselves look more "committed" than the next guy, as well as offering nice perks like flexible time policies.

As a salaried employee, I recognize that occasionally, I will have to work more than 40 hours in a week to get things done. Sometimes there are deadlines to meet that require putting in extra hours to get the job done in time - you can't just miss the deadline and say "oh well, I tried". However, those are all tasks/projects that are directly related to the duties and responsibilities I'm paid to perform. As such, I don't feel like I need extra compensation for every minute over 40 hours that I might work on those things.

That said, I do not agree with UO's approach here, since they are angling for these employees to take on tasks that are well outside of their normal areas of responsibility, with no compensation. They are a retailer who knows the holiday shopping season is starting soon, and they should be hiring seasonal staff to help handle it. If they are having to fall back on salaried employees to fill in, then they either didn't plan their hiring appropriately, or they're just being cheap bastards.

Board footera