The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2015 6:42 pm  #1

Where Do They Find These Guys?

On Monday, Sen. Rand Paul said that he'd heard of "many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines" — a concern that has not been substantiated despite years and years of scientific research into the topic

Throughout his comments during an interview on CNBC , Paul maintained, "I'm not arguing vaccines are a bad idea. I think they're a good thing." He called them "one of the biggest medical breakthroughs we've had," and added, "I think public awareness of how good vaccines are for kids and how they are good for public health is a great idea.

"
Yet his nod to the all-too-common — and unsubstantiated[/url] — belief that vaccines can cause mental problems in children seems to undercut that certainty. This belief doesn't divide neatly along political lines, [url=http://www.vox.com/2015/2/2/7962479/chris-christie-vaccines]as I wrote earlier today[/url]. Indeed, on Twitter, several conservatives strongly disagreed with Paul's remarks — as many did with [url=http://www.vox.com/2015/2/2/7962479/chris-christie-vaccines]Gov. Chris Christie for vaccine-related comments earlier Monday.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/02/2015 6:43 pm)

2/02/2015 6:57 pm  #2

Re: Where Do They Find These Guys?

Oh dear god,,,,,
Another case of people using politics to derive opinion on scientific issues.
And Rand Paul pandering to this is a disgrace.
He's a doctor, for god's sake!

Last edited by Goose (2/02/2015 6:57 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/06/2015 7:40 pm  #3

And then we have Chris Christie

The New Jersey governor said Monday that he believes that parents “need to have some measure of choice” over vaccinating their children against measles, despite a recent outbreak of the virus that was caused by parents not vaccinating their children. What a world!

While visiting Cambridge, England, Christie was asked about vaccinations, according to The New York Times.

He said that although he and his wife had vaccinated their children, “It’s more important what you think as a parent than what you think as a public official. I also understand that parents need to have some measure of choice in things as well.

This is the guy who locked a perfectly healthy nurse in a bubble because she had lived in ebola affected west Africa

Last edited by Goose (2/06/2015 7:40 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/16/2015 9:08 am  #4

And here's another wingnut:

A Republican Montana lawmaker now insists that his proposal to ban yoga pants is just one giant joke.Republican David Moore initially proposed the a law that would ban the tight (but so comfy) pants after he witnessed a group of naked bicyclists rolling through Missoula, MT, and made the comment to an AP reporter soon after proposing the law.

He hastily walked back the law — banning clothing that exposes “genitals, pubic hair, or anus of exposes the areola or nipple of the person’s breast with anything less than a fully opaque covering while in a public place — when his comments exploded across the internet.
“At no time during the hearing of that bill was yoga pants brought up,” he told The Guardian. “The whole was a off-the-cuff remark in the hallway, and the whole thing just exploded.”The AP, however, says he really did mean it:
[quote888]“Our reporter spoke to him at length,” Associated Press media director Paul Colford said about the interview, which took place on Tuesday. “She asked him about that statement twice. After the story appeared, Mr Moore told associates he was making a joke. Our staffer did not report that the bill would go so far as to outlaw yoga pants. Or that he intended to, we stand by our coverage.”[/quote888]

The Guardian noted that that the bill’s language could have possibly referred to the banning of beige yoga pants, which, ew, come on, beige yoga pants are gross and no one buys them anyway.

Maybe we need an entire header thread starter entitled "Where Do They Find These Guys?"  I'm sure there would be plenty of entries.[/quote888][/quote888][/quote888]

Last edited by Just Fred (2/16/2015 9:11 am)

2/16/2015 4:34 pm  #5

Goose wrote:

Oh dear god,,,,,
Another case of people using politics to derive opinion on scientific issues.
And Rand Paul pandering to this is a disgrace.
He's a doctor, for god's sake!

I think you will find that Paul is NOT a true board certified opthamologist. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/19/2015 4:00 pm  #6

And, here we have another entry into the 'Where Do They Find These Guys" file:

While speaking to a group of conservatives in Manhattan on Wednesday night, onetime presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani[/url] questioned President Barack Obama’s love for America.“I do not believe, and I know this is a horrible thing to say, but I do not believe that the president loves America,” the former mayor of New York City said, [url=http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/rudy-giuliani-president-obama-doesnt-love-america-115309.html#ixzz3SCO0Y61l]according to Politico. “He doesn’t love you. And he doesn’t love me. He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country".

The inflammatory remarks were said at a private dinner for Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/19/2015 4:02 pm)

2/19/2015 4:32 pm  #7

Speaking of almost Marquette grad Scott Walker:

Wisconsin's Legislative Fiscal Bureau has announced that Governor Scott Walker's administration will skip a scheduled $108 million debt payment because of a budget shortfall.
The state is allowed to skip this payment under its loan terms without defaulting, but costs will accumulate over the long term, "starting with an additional $19.3 million in the two-year budget starting in June," Jason Stein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.
Wisconsin had a surplus last year, which spurred Walker to enact a new round of $541 million in tax cuts, the Washington Post's Jeff Guo writes.
But since then, less revenue has come in than expected, leading to a $280 million shortfall that must be plugged by June 30. Skipping the debt payment lets Walker "avoid the spectacle of a state budget repair bill," Stein writes.
The news will surely draw attention to Walker's handling of his state's finances as he gears up for a presidential run. Since taking office, Walker has cut taxes by nearly $2 billion.
Dinner with the supply-siders

The debt payment news came shortly before Walker dined in New York with Arthur Laffer, Steve Moore, and Larry Kudlow  — longtime staples of the supply-side economics movement, which holds that cutting taxes will often increase government revenue by stimulating economic activity. In practice, after the Reagan and George W. Bush administrations slashed taxes, revenues fell and deficits increased.

"According to several attendees, when Walker talked about the need for sweeping tax cuts, [Wall Street Journal editorial page editor Paul] Gigot and Kudlow flashed thumbs-up signs," according to Robert Costa of the Washington Post. Later at the event, Costa writes, Walker compared his showdown with public employee unions to Ronald Reagan's famous face-off with federal air traffic controllers.

During Walker's trip to New York, he also met with several wealthy Republican donors, whose support he hopes to win for his likely presidential campaign. He has recently been winning increased attention as a potential top challenger to former Florida governor Jeb Bush for the GOP nomination.

2/19/2015 6:12 pm  #8

Just Fred wrote:

And, here we have another entry into the 'Where Do They Find These Guys" file:

While speaking to a group of conservatives in Manhattan on Wednesday night, onetime presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani[/url] questioned President Barack Obama’s love for America.“I do not believe, and I know this is a horrible thing to say, but I do not believe that the president loves America,” the former mayor of New York City said, [url=http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/rudy-giuliani-president-obama-doesnt-love-america-115309.html#ixzz3SCO0Y61l]according to Politico. “He doesn’t love you. And he doesn’t love me. He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country".

The inflammatory remarks were said at a private dinner for Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

Obama loves me.

Rudi's just jealous.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/19/2015 6:16 pm  #9

Rongone wrote:

Speaking of almost Marquette grad Scott Walker:

The debt payment news came shortly before Walker dined in New York with Arthur Laffer, Steve Moore, and Larry Kudlow — longtime staples of the supply-side economics movement, which holds that cutting taxes will often increase government revenue by stimulating economic activity. In practice, after the Reagan and George W. Bush administrations slashed taxes, revenues fell and deficits increased.

What was that old cliche again about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera