The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2015 12:07 pm  #1

Politics in the Classroom

An Oklahoma lawmaker is pushing a bill that calls for the state to ban Advanced Placement history classes in the state's public schools because -- among other issues — he claims the courses omit "American exceptionalism."

House Bill 1380 — which would ban funding Advanced Placement history courses — was introduced Monday by the bill's author, Republican State Rep. Dan Fisher, who said the current structure of Advanced Placement history courses focus on "what is bad about America," The Tulsa World reported.

The bill reportedly is seen as a first step in an attempt to ban all Advanced Placement courses in the state, with opponents of Advanced Placement claiming the program bares similarity to Common Core, a controversial K-12 program that seeks to set a national standard for teaching and testing Common Core and also links the distribution of federal education funds to states that adopt the standards. 

The Oklahoma Legislature voted last year to opt out of Common Core and passed a law that required the state to set and administer its own education standards.

Advanced Placement courses -- which local school districts are not required to teach -- are certified by the College Board, a private entity, which also oversees their final exams. The courses are rigorous and enable high school students to earn college credit. In addition, college admissions offices tend to favor applications that include Advanced Placement courses.

Fisher's bill passed House Common Education Committee in a 11-4 vote, with Republicans voting in favor and Democrats opposed. 

Fisher's primary argument for the bill banning AP history courses was that they emphasize the wrongs about America. 

But, in an editorial titled, "Effort to ban AP history in Oklahoma is ignorant," The Tulsa World argues that the courses allow smart high school students to study at a college level, and that the history courses teach the "full range of American history: the good, the bad and the exceptional."

"It's not a secret left-wing plot to inculcate American youth with seditious ideas, just a hard class for bright kids," the editorial read. The paper called on the state speaker of the house to prevent the bill from being brought to the floor.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/18/oklahoma-ap-history-class-under-fire-for-omitting-american-exceptionalism/?intcmp=latestnews

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/19/2015 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Politics in the Classroom

The bill reportedly is seen as a first step in an attempt to ban all Advanced Placement courses in the state, with opponents of Advanced Placement claiming the program bares similarity to Common Core

Ban all Advanced Placement courses?! 

I support public education, but it would take me all of three seconds to yank my kid out of an Oklahoma school and buck up for a private institution.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/19/2015 12:24 pm  #3

So, government suppression of history and censorship in education.

Didn't we fight wars over shit like this?

An uneducated population is an easily controlled population.

And these people have the nerve to call themselves Americans??

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (2/19/2015 12:25 pm)

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/19/2015 12:53 pm  #4

The idea of American Exceptionalism has always been a difficult one for me to accept.
I don't think that it is particularly useful to tell ourselves and our children that we are better than everyone else. What number of follies has that conceit gotten us?

I think we'd be better off trying to assure that each year we are a better country than we were the year before..

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”

― Ernest Hemingway

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/19/2015 1:04 pm  #5

That and telling others, or at least implying to them that we're better tends to not be well received.

I spent a lot of my active duty time in Europe.  Even people in countries we had good relationships with thought were were arrogant.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/19/2015 6:32 pm  #6

I wonder how many people are aware that this kind of thinking is interferring with and distorting kids' education and choosing the textbooks that our kids use across the country.  If it isn't the Texas School Board, it's some other group below the Mason-Dixon line.  What is it with this southern states?

2/19/2015 6:54 pm  #7

florentine wrote:

I wonder how many people are aware that this kind of thinking is interferring with and distorting kids' education and choosing the textbooks that our kids use across the country.  If it isn't the Texas School Board, it's some other group below the Mason-Dixon line.  What is it with this southern states?

Texas is an 800 pound gorilla when it comes to textbooks.   Book publishers produce what will pass muster in the most populous states, so if the Texans disapprove a big chunk of their market is gone.

So just like Electoral politics....the little states like NH, RI, and DE have almost no say.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera