The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2015 8:18 pm  #1

Whatever Happened to German America?

W

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 7:11 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/23/2015 8:43 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened to German America?

Great piece.

In York County there were dozens of German speaking churches until WWI   Some of the German immigants had been here about 170  years or more at that time.

In the late 1800s a number of congregations began to split over the issue of language.  There are a fair number of Lutheran congretations in south central Pennsylvania (none in York County) with the official name "First English".   That meant that they were the 19th century breakaway from the older German congregation. 

In downtown York we had one particularly striking example:  Christ Lutheran, founded in 1734, German speaking, in the first block of South George Street.  Directly across Court alley, Zion Lutheran, the English breakaway, founded about 150 years later.

Another example  the original Catholic parish in York, St. Patrick's, founded mostly by Irish immigrants, just a block and a half from Immaculate Conception (St. Mary's) founded by now sainted German missionary priest John Naumann.  Unity of the faith but not unity of language....pretty irational when you consider that back then Mass was said in Latin in both parishes.

When WWI began the language disappeared and American flags appeared in the Sanctuary.

Life is an Orthros.

9/24/2015 7:51 am  #3

Thanks for sharing this article.  I guess since it has been several generations since the last wave of German immigrants arrived, the culture has died out.

The first wave of German immigrants arrived between the 1680's and the Revolutionary War, with most coming to PA due to the efforts of William Penn.  After the War, they started migrating west to the midwestern states as well.  It is also worth noting that many Anabaptists (Amish, Mennonite and Brethren) that are considered PA Dutch and German, actually have their roots in Switzerland and France.  Many fled religious persecution there and went to Germany, before they then made the journey to America.

The second wave occurred in the 1830's and 1840's, with many of those immigrants settling in Texas and adjoining states.

The final wave occurred in the late 1800's, with many of those immigrants coming over and staying in the bigger metropolitan areas such as New York City.

The author also missed another prominent American with German ancestry, as Dwight D Eisenhower (Eisenhauer) has German ancestors and deep connections with York County.

9/24/2015 12:02 pm  #4

Lest we not forget our Irish immigrants who arrived in the U. S. in the early 1700s. 

9/24/2015 1:32 pm  #5

My paternal grandparents left Nuremberg, Germany around 1910. They made passage on an immigrant boat through Ellis Island. They settled in the Spring Hill section of Pittsburgh, PA. There was a robust German community in the Spring Hill area. As a matter of fact, years later the Spring Hill German club feted my grandparents as they celebrated their 50th anniversary. My grandfather joined the U.S. Navy and served on the USS Rhode Island as a gunners mate. He would have made the navy his career if my grandmother had not convinced him to come back to Pittsburgh and help raise the family. He returned to work in a garage and for Tejan Coal Company until he retired. When I was small we used to go to their house for Sunday dinners. My grandmother would cook large meals. German was spoken in the house, which we didn't understand too much, but knew when my grandmother said "raus mittem" we needed to get out of the way. Everyone would sit at a large table in the kitchen, warm from the oven and stove, and eat the meal together. After dinner the table was cleared and the men would sit down and play cards in the kitchen and the women would retire to the living room to talk. The kids would run around playing with their cousins. Around 9:00 my grandmother would start laying out "a bite" for anyone that might be hungry. My grandfather was bursting with pride when I joined the navy. I still have his diary from the years he spent in the navy. They were simple people with pride in their heritage and their family. That is my German - American experience sehr gut.

Last edited by Rongone (9/24/2015 1:34 pm)

9/24/2015 3:54 pm  #6

Thanks for sharing guys.
Some very interesting stuff.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/24/2015 4:23 pm  #7

Brady Bunch raised a great point about the shifting boundaries of nation and linguistic territories.

My ancestry includes some 19th Century Germans from Baden and Prussia (Millers and Bertsch), as well as 18th century German-speaking Swiss (Glattfelders and Emigs), as well as immigrants from the same time period from the French Alsace (Stambaughs).  The Alsace is a region that has shifted back and forth through the various centuries, sometimes part of a German state and sometimes French.   But the language in the 18th century was defintely German.
_

Life is an Orthros.

9/24/2015 7:13 pm  #8

Thanks for sharing Tarnation.  I likewise have 19th century German acnectors (Weimer), many 18th century German ancestors from the Palatine region (Millers, Flinchbaugh, etc), 18th century German-speaking Swiss (Frey and Sechrist) and numerous other ancestors from Alsace.

BTW, it appears we are distant relatives, as I am also descended from the Glattfelders.

Board footera