The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2015 11:49 am  #21

Re: Why science is so hard to believe

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.  ~Voltaire

Last edited by IntroVertigo (2/19/2015 7:49 am)

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.  ~Voltaire

2/17/2015 12:41 pm  #22

IntroVertigo wrote:

Rongone wrote:

I'm going to stick with gravity as an example of proven science.

Gravity is a great example!....Again I'm no scientist, but much like climate change..
We know that gravity exist (and we can prove that it exist) 
But is there any proven science behind what causes Gravity?

You mean other than trying my experiment in post #20 ??

2/17/2015 1:02 pm  #23

Last edited by IntroVertigo (2/19/2015 7:49 am)

2/17/2015 2:13 pm  #24

IntroVertigo wrote:

Rongone wrote:

You are right...Gravity certainly does exist (just as climate change exist)
But wouldn't the highly techincal experiment explained in post #20 only serve to prove that it indeed does exist?
It would not explain the forces that are responsible for Gravity.

Sorry . . . I'm not bright enough to be a physicist. I just know that when I crash to the ground after leaping off my roof, it hurts, and I'm told the reason for this is a thing called gravity.

Maybe if I was on a mission from God in the car with Jake & Elwood, I'd be able to explain it better.

2/17/2015 2:46 pm  #25

Last edited by IntroVertigo (2/19/2015 7:48 am)

2/17/2015 3:09 pm  #26

Rongone wrote:

IntroVertigo wrote:

Rongone wrote:

You are right...Gravity certainly does exist (just as climate change exist)
But wouldn't the highly techincal experiment explained in post #20 only serve to prove that it indeed does exist?
It would not explain the forces that are responsible for Gravity.

Sorry . . . I'm not bright enough to be a physicist. I just know that when I crash to the ground after leaping off my roof, it hurts, and I'm told the reason for this is a thing called gravity.

Maybe if I was on a mission from God in the car with Jake & Elwood, I'd be able to explain it better.

I am thinking Barry E. “Butch” Wilmore might disagree with your theorem from the roof of his current house ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/17/2015 5:07 pm  #27

Rongone wrote:

IntroVertigo wrote:

Rongone wrote:

I'm going to stick with gravity as an example of proven science.

Gravity is a great example!....Again I'm no scientist, but much like climate change..
We know that gravity exist (and we can prove that it exist) 
But is there any proven science behind what causes Gravity?

There is Newton's  law of universal gravitation.
As to why two bodies attract each other in the ways described, I do not know.
But, gravity provides a useful exaample of what I am trying to articulate. One does not have to understand everything about gravity to describe it, understand that we are bound to it, and design things that conform to its laws.
We know, with unchallengable certainty that, if we drop a coin 500 times, that 500 times it will fall to the ground. And we know how fast it will drop.

Similarly, one does not have to understand every aspect of climate change in order to start making plans to accomodate to it. WE know that the climate is changing, that it is changing rapidly, and that the most probable cause is industrial activity driving carbon emmisions. We  will know more in time. But we can do some things to react to it already. Failing to do so would be akin to stepping off your balcony under the reasoning that "gee, we don't know all there is to gravity. I might not fall."

Last edited by Goose (2/17/2015 5:41 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/17/2015 6:00 pm  #28

Last edited by IntroVertigo (2/19/2015 7:47 am)

2/17/2015 8:52 pm  #29

Not a gravity denier,,,, hey, that's a start!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera