The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2015 10:51 pm  #1

Giving up and taking up in Lent

With the New Year's resolutions fading from memory the Church offers a second chance each year through the season of Lent.

The 40 days of preparation for Good Friday and Easter recall the 40 days of rain before the great flood from which Noah and his family alone were spared, the 40 days offered to the Ninevites as a time for repentance by the prophet Jonah, and the 40 days that Jesus fasted in the desert before facing the Tempter.

Many Christians fast during these days because Jesus fasted.  Some fast very severely:   the Orthodox will abstain from all meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy.   Some fairly strictly:  many Roman Catholics (adults who are not elderly, on military service, or pregnant or nursing) will limit themselves one mearl per day and two smaller meals, plus no meat on Fridays.   A few Lutherans and Anglicans keep strict Orthodox or Catholic type fasts, more commonly they resolve to "give up" one or more foods.  Protestants are beginning to "give up" something--food, perhaps, or a pleasure.

But Lent is also a time for "taking up" a new or renewed discipline, drawing inspiration from Jesus's words to "take up your cross and follow me".  The discipline might be more intense and/or regular prayer.   Perhaps more reading and study of the scriptures.   Perhaps trying to be more charitable, not just in writing checks but by doing something hand-on to help the less fortunate.

So what are you planning to give up/take up for Lent?

Life is an Orthros.

2/17/2015 8:05 am  #2

Re: Giving up and taking up in Lent

Haven't decided yet.
In the household I grew up in we obstained from meat on Friday's during lent.
By contrast, my grandparents refrained from eating meat on any Friday.
Good Friday was a day of more rigorous fasting. A small breakfast, just toast and tea/coffee, and a simple supper. Most of the day was spent in church observing the stations of the cross, which is a very long ceremony.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/17/2015 11:21 am  #3

Giving up something for Lent is like declaring a New Year's resolution.  Never happens.

2/17/2015 2:34 pm  #4

Did anyone consider the 'giving up mea't thing might have more to do with domestic economics than anthing else?  I mean meat is one of the more expensive items on the grocery shopping list.  Or maybe it's some king of a conspiracy brought about by animals we kill, chop up, and eat.  Reminds me of that commerical where cows band together with signs encouraging us to "Eat More Chicken".

As far as the giving up something for Lent thing, I don't subscribe to that, but if that is what floats your boat, I say, "Go ahead."  Doesn't seem like it hurts anybody.

2/17/2015 7:24 pm  #5

Goose wrote:

Haven't decided yet.
In the household I grew up in we obstained from meat on Friday's during lent.
By contrast, my grandparents refrained from eating meat on any Friday.
Good Friday was a day of more rigorous fasting. A small breakfast, just toast and tea/coffee, and a simple supper. Most of the day was spent in church observing the stations of the cross, which is a very long ceremony.

Grew up Catholic. Haven't attended church in any regular way in over 20 years. But to this day, I will not eat meat on Friday during Lent. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/17/2015 9:51 pm  #6

As perhaps an alternative to giving something up in the traditional sense for Lent, you might consider donating to Catholic Relief Service's Rice Bowl project which began in Allentown, Pennsylvania, 40 years ago, when Americans began to take up a collection to help a famine in West Africa. More than 13,000 faith communities participated in CRS Rice Bowl last Lent.

http://www.crsricebowl.org/about/

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/17/2015 10:31 pm  #7

tennyson wrote:

As perhaps an alternative to giving something up in the traditional sense for Lent, you might consider donating to Catholic Relief Service's Rice Bowl project which began in Allentown, Pennsylvania, 40 years ago, when Americans began to take up a collection to help a famine in West Africa. More than 13,000 faith communities participated in CRS Rice Bowl last Lent.

http://www.crsricebowl.org/about/

Great point....usually the Lenten disciplines are often considered a triad of fasting, almsgiving, and prayer.

If you fast without giving alms and praying that is merely dieting.

If you pray without fasting and giving alms that is merely a monologue.

If you give alms without fasting and praryer that is merely philanthropy.

Fasting and almsgiving can really work well in tandem; if you're eating less meat and/or dairy give the money you would have otherwise spent on those foods to a charity.

One of my personal favorites is [url]www.heifer.org[/url]

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera