The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2015 3:26 pm  #1

Oh, How I Love Organized Religion

The suspect in Thursday's stabbing attack at Jerusalem's gay pride parade, Yishai Shlissel, reportedly wrote and published a letter last week saying that there is an obligation to stop the "parade of sin" at all costs.

Shlissel perpetrated a similar stabbing attack at the 2005 Jerusalem gay pride parade. He was recently released from prison after having been convicted of stabbing three people during the parade ten years ago.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Jerusalem-stabbers-letter-reveals-Stopping-gay-pride-march-is-a-test-from-God-410713

Last edited by Just Fred (7/30/2015 3:27 pm)

7/31/2015 6:52 am  #2

Re: Oh, How I Love Organized Religion

I guess I'm feeling feisty this morning.

What would you all say if I posted this:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Woman-killed-on-San-Francisco-pier-identified-6363401.php

And said, Oh, How I Love immigration"?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/31/2015 1:30 pm  #3

I''m not connecting the dots, Goose.  One guy is driven to "stop the parade of sin" at all costs justified by a religious belief system he's following, and I'm not sure what triggered the immigrant's decision to shoot the girl.

7/31/2015 2:08 pm  #4

My point is that taking the actions of one nutjob to condemn organized religion would be as unsound as,
well, using the the actions of another nutjob to condemn immigration.
I'm sure that this guy's rabbi isn't telling members of his temple to go stab people.

Generalizations are problematic.

All through you community, right now, are people doing good things with their religious beliefs.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/31/2015 2:15 pm  #5

Right, but if you use your religious belief system to bring harm and pain to others who don't believe as you do with respect to the God you choose to worship, then you've crossed the line.  I'm not condemning organized religion per se, I'm condemning those that use religion to commit crimes and somehow feel they are doing god's work.

I have no idea what justified what the other guy did, but if he tried to justify what he did by citing some religious belief, then I'd throw him on the same dung heap with the guy that stabbed the gay people.

7/31/2015 2:22 pm  #6

Just Fred wrote:

Right, but if you use your religious belief system to bring harm and pain to others who don't believe as you do with respect to the God you choose to worship, then you've crossed the line.  I'm not condemning organized religion per se, I'm condemning those that use religion to commit crimes and somehow feel they are doing god's work.

I have no idea what justified what the other guy did, but if he tried to justify what he did by citing some religious belief, then I'd throw him on the same dung heap with the guy that stabbed the gay people.

I am in agreement with that.
Perhaps I was confused by the title of the thread.  

8/01/2015 9:07 am  #7

Just out of curiosity, did the church condemn this action?

Or the same action in 2005?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

8/01/2015 10:02 am  #8

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Just out of curiosity, did the church condemn this action?

Or the same action in 2005?

Yes, he has been widely condemned by Rabbi's, ordinary jews, the mayor, the Prime minister,,,,,

Both Chief Rabbis David Lau and Yitzhak Yosef denounced the attack stating that it violated Torah law and called on the legal authorities to deal with the attacker with utmost severity. 

“The Torah of the Jewish people forbids all violence and [attempts to] injure any person, and especially someone who tries to kill another person,” said Lau. 

Yosef said the attacker should be considered like “any other murderer.”

“It’s unthinkable that a man can lift up his hand against another Jewish soul in the name of religion,” said the rabbi, adding “I am praying from the bottom of my heart for the full recovery of those who were injured and in the face of this type of hatred I call on the entire Jewish people to return to unity in kindness and tolerance."

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Politicians-from-across-the-spectrum-condemn-Jerusalem-gay-pride-stabbing-410695

Last edited by Goose (8/01/2015 10:08 am)

8/02/2015 8:39 am  #9

Good to hear it.

Seems looking the other way is a sport in this country.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

8/02/2015 9:59 am  #10

Shira Banki, 16, who was one of six people attacked at the Gay Pride  event on Thursday in Jerusalem has just died from her wounds according to attending doctors. 

God rest her soul. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera