The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2015 8:01 am  #1

Is This Where We're Going?

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. The stereotyping of people relating to their religious belief system leading us down this road?

A 46-year-old man has been charged with murder in the shooting death of three Muslim students in an apartment near the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus.

Police haven't said what may have compelled the accused, Craig Stephen Hicks, to allegedly carry out the attack Tuesday evening. He turned himself in to police later in the night.But given the victims' religion and comments the alleged shooter apparently left on a Facebook page, many social media users wondered what role, if any, the victims' faith played.

The victims were Muslims: Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23; Yusor Mohammad, 21; and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19.Barakat was Mohammad's husband; Abu-Salha was her sister, the school said[/url].Barakat was a second-year student at the UNC School of Dentistry, who was raising money on [url=http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/syrian-dental-relief/206249]a fundraising site to provide dental care to Syrian refugees in Turkey.

He had been married for just over a month to Yusor Mohammad, who was planning to begin her dental studies at UNC in the fall, according to the school.Abu-Salha was a student at North Carolina State University in Raleigh.All three had been shot in the head, sources told CNN affiliate WRAL.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/11/2015 8:02 am)

2/11/2015 8:35 am  #2

Re: Is This Where We're Going?

Hopefully an exceedingly rare event.

In my view, the only way that the Islamic terrorists win is if they can instill the same blind hatred that they have into people like us. I have to think that they (the terrorists) want a sectarian armageddon.

Last edited by Goose (2/11/2015 8:36 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/14/2015 6:45 pm  #3

During the early part of the last decade, when our politicial leaders were justfying torturing prisoners, I had asked "Are we becoming the enemy?"

That question is just a relevant now.  We spew just as much hatred as those we call terrorists.  The only difference is we haven't started blowing each other up...yet.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/15/2015 9:33 am  #4

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

2/15/2015 10:20 am  #5

And again:

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/14/1364404/-As-Houston-Islamic-Center-Burns-Firefighter-Posts-Let-it-burn-block-the-fire-hydrant

Edited at at 11:50am.

I have to apologize.  The 'firefighter' in question is actually a retired firefighter who, while he still volunteers, was not at the scene.

IMO, some journalistic dishonesty and blatant sensationalism.

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (2/15/2015 11:50 am)

-Me again

2/15/2015 11:48 am  #6

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.  ~Voltaire

Last edited by IntroVertigo (2/19/2015 7:53 am)

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.  ~Voltaire

2/15/2015 12:34 pm  #7

I hadn't seen that before.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera