The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2015 7:05 pm  #31

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Since the conversation veered off into coming to grips with how old we are and mortality, I'm reminded of a quote from Satchel Page, a black major league baseball pitcher in the early days of professional baseball.  He had no idea how old he was and no idea when his birthday was.

A reporter asked him how old he was and he replied, "Well, how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

I don't know about you, but I think it's one of the greatest quotes of all-time.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/12/2015 7:06 pm)

2/12/2015 7:11 pm  #32

02/12/2015

The mood is vacillating.  Some ups, some downs.  Pretty much par for the course.

News:  I've had a small victory in the Mouse War.

I had just woken up at around 5:05am and I heard one of the live traps trip followed by some frantic scrabbling and scratching.  I went into the kitchen an discovered the live trap on the counter was occupied.  I had taken my first prisoner.

I questioned the prisoner intensively but all he would do is scream "One day the tide of revolution will wash your capitalist, cheese-hoarding bones into the sea of oblivion!"  Or maybe he said "Hey!  That shirt looks great on you!.  Have you lost weight?  Any chance of you, say, letting me go?"

I'm not sure which.  My interspecies language skills are a little rusty.

Anyway, I sat the trap by the front door then took the prisioner a few miles up the road and let him go.  When I opened the gate on the trap he shot out, bounced twice across the grass, then dove under it and was gone.  Energetic and healthy.  I really didn't want to kill it.  There's a reason why.

I took a trip down memory lane recently.  

I drove through my old neighborhood.  Not the one in the city, but the one in the suburbs.  The one were I did most of my growing up.  The place really looks different.  When we moved there it was a small development full of middle class homes.  Our house looked like a large red barn.  It's still there, still barn-like, on Lexington Road.

When I was a child, the surrounding area was all farm land.  I remember having to walk for two miles on trails through woods and fields to get to the nearest store, a Rutters Farm store on the corner of South Queen and Dew Drop Roads.  All of those open spaces are now packed with either big-ticket homes or townhouses all crammed together.

There was still a creek behind The Red Barn but it's surrounded by houses now.  When I was a kid there was a small stand of woods just a few hundred yards from my back yard.

It was the beginning of summer when I was fourteen and the most wonderful opportunity came along.  A friend wanted to sell a Daisy pellet pistol.  He only wanted five bucks for it and I just had to have it.  I asked my parents if I could buy it and they flatly refused.  With good reason.  I was extremely immature and was probably the last person on earth that should be carrying a gun of any kind.

Both of my parents were working at that time so I decided to go behind their backs and buy it with my allowance.

My friend brought the gun over and I hid it in the basement.  I had spent all of my allowance on the gun so I had to wait another week before I had money to by BB's.  I walked down the Mailman's the following Friday, bought the ammo, and hid that in the basement too.

I had to wait a whole weekend, such a very long weekend, until Monday came and my folks went to work.

I snuck downstairs a couple of times to just look at my gun, and hold it.  I would put it in my pocket and practice quick-draws.  I never pumped it up so I wouldn't make noise when I pulled the trigger.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, Monday came and my folks took off for work.

I rushed downstairs, loaded up the BB's, pumped it 15 times just like my friend told me to, and put it in my pocket.  I followed the creek down to the stand of trees and was walking through a little clearing when I saw a robin sitting on a low branch, right out in the open, singing away.

Without even thinking about it, I pulled the gun and shot from the hip, just like a gunslinger in an old western.

The singing stopped.  Just stopped.  Like someone had pulled a plug.  The robin fell straight over and landed on the ground with a barely audible thump.  I dropped the gun and ran over to it.  It was just laying there.  Perfectly still.  A neat little hole right through its head.

I don't remember sitting down.  I just was.  And I picked it up.  And I stroked its feathers.  I just said "no" over and over again.

I sat with that little bird in my lap and cried.  I don't remember how long.

Suddenly the day wasn't so bright.  The leaves weren't as green.  The air wasn't so sweet.  There was something beautiful and simple and charming and I took it out of the world with just a squeeze of my finger.  

For no reason at all.

I don't know how long I sat there.  Eventually, I found a rock, dug a hole, and buried the robin.  As I was walking back through the woods I came upon my gun.  Just lying there on the ground.  I picked it up and threw it into the deepest part of the creek.  As far as I know, it's still there today.

I killed something just because I could.

I learned a harsh lesson that day.  At the price of a life.

I'm not sure what else to say.

Thanks for listening

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (2/12/2015 7:17 pm)

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/12/2015 10:32 pm  #33

What a story!

Three-fold sacrifice; of your life's savings to buy the gun, of the robin's life through the first and only use of the gun, and then of the gun itself.

From the other thread you mention "being stationed"....usually that means a military base....how in the world did you end up enlisting and how did you manage to fit in, given the experience you've just shared?

Life is an Orthros.

2/13/2015 8:01 am  #34

Tarnation; I was in the Air Force.  I worked as a fighter aircraft mechanic.

I was never directly exposed to the business end of warfare so the concept of people being killed was an abstraction.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

2/13/2015 6:18 pm  #35

Okay folks.  I didn't write this today.  It's a journal post from 2011.

Since all of this was lost when the Exchange went down I thought I repost some of my favorite oldies.

This is April 2011, It's Raining Fish:

------------------------------------

04/24/2011  

The pain level is extremely high today. 

I'm vibrating like a tuning fork.

Strangely enough, I'm still able to type at friction inducing speed without missing a beat.

Weird. 

At any rate, it's a 'big meds' day. This means lots of not going anywhere, reading (what's new?), and thinking abstract thoughts. I mostly read fantasy. This world is horrifying enough without having to further highlight it by immersing myself in non-fiction. A lot of the stories I read have to do with people being snapped up from this reality and being deposited in an alternative dimension where the world is still the world but there are wizards, gods, demons, witches, non-human races, etc... 

The overall theme of the above is that we, as a race killed magic at some point in our development. That the pursuit of science and all things mechanical, mathematical, and explainable resulted in the death of the unknowable. Yet strange things still happen in this world that defy explanation.

I'm not talking about the image of a religious figure on a grilled-cheese sandwich (although someone paying $22,000.00 for it at auction does defy explanation).

I'm talking about things like spontaneous combustion or rains of fish. People have a habit of attributing the above phenomena to divine sources. They happen, there's no avoiding this conclusion. However, if we truly killed magic, wouldn't that mean that we killed gods as well? Seriously, the power of a god would have to be rooted in some sort of magical source. They didn't build machines that turned them into geese to they could seduce random Greek women or have a 'part the Red Sea' icon on the desktop of their Dell Divine-Max 9000 home PC running Win-Infinity. 

No, they had to magic all this crap up.

So, if we killed magic, wouldn't that also mean we killed the gods? Let's face it. In the old days gods were showing up every ten minutes doing all sorts of crap to people, places, and things. Apart from the aforementioned grilled-cheese, where are they now? 

Now, people will ascribe all sorts of things to god, or gods, depending on your viewpoint. But just try to find the smoking gun. Go ahead, I'll wait. ….. 

Didn't find one, did you?

I mean there's a lot of circumstantial evidence but you won't find fingerprints, names, addresses, phone numbers, ATM camera footage, etc... Yes, it rained fish. So what? Can you name one logical reason why any god would pelt a small, remote village with a truckload of herring? Or why one would suddenly decide to flame the Mayor of Warsaw in a public square? The argument usually ends up with 'man cannot understand the motivation of a god'; which is true, to a point. However, when you consider that were were supposed to have been created by a god or gods, why would they make us too appallingly thick to at least be able to understand them? 

Keeping this in mind, raining fish or suddenly bursting into flame for no apparent reason makes no sense whatsoever. The remote village in Romania wasn't suffering from a famine, and if they had been, wouldn't a mountain village be better served by a rain of salt-beef, perhaps some whole grain, or dried vegetables? You know, something that would keep well and wouldn't smell like Satan's backside after two hours in the sun?

It makes no sense.

So was this divine influence? Could be, if the god responsible was quite, quite stoned and bored out of his/her skull. 

And why nuke the Mayor of Warsaw in public? Wouldn't a simple aneurysm have done it? Well, that and a tastefully done calling card in a suitably raised Gothic script saying 'Snuffed Out By God Because This Guy Was A Right Bastard...Tell All Your Friends

That would be a hell of a lot more effective than lighting the guy up and leaving people guessing. 

So, there are still claims of spontaneous combustion, usually without any sort of scientific explanation, and rains of fish in places where fish generally aren't found in such large quantities. Does this imply the source is magical? You will, of course, be able to find a large number of people who will cheerfully explain, at great length, how both of these phenomena can be explained scientifically.

But, science will also lack a 'smoking gun'.  In both cases, the argument rather relies on a suspension of disbelief. A willingness to allow either explanation to rest as logical, even if it doesn't have a direct connection. 

So does any of the above mean we really didn't kill the magic? Is that 'smoking gun' the point where the magic currently resides? Is that small space between where the logic ends and belief begins where all the magic, so prolific in our history, can be found? 

Does the 'smoking gun' look suspiciously like a wand? 

Your guess is a good as mine. I spend a great deal of time examining the space between logic and belief. It still doesn't make sense. Perhaps it's not supposed to. At any rate, I feel that if we spent more time picking this space apart we might actually learn something about the world, or at least about ourselves. 

If only we could stop leaping over the gap in favor of the illusion of understanding.  

-Me again

2/14/2015 5:30 pm  #36

02/14/2015

The mood is flat. Neither up nor down. 

Today is St Valentine's day. 

Looking up references to St Valentine has been interesting. Apparently there was more than one and no one is really sure which Valentine is the one commemorated on this date. The chap who is most referenced as the actual St Valentine was beaten with clubs, beheaded, buried, dug up by his followers, and buried somewhere else. 

Nothing says love like being beaten to death, does it? 

My young niece, Jamie, posted something that got me thinking. Why does everyone insist that you absolutely have to be with someone on this date? Why are people who are alone looked at like there's something wrong with them? If I were to go out to dinner and ask for a table for one, would everyone in the place suddenly fall silent? Would people be whispering about me to their companions? 

In my opinion, being single is vastly underrated. 

I believe a sense of self is very important. If your entire sense of self worth is defined strictly by another person, are you really you? Sharing things is important, humans are social creatures, but is a life lived purely for another person really a life?

I understand that not all relationships are like what I described above. Some people are perfect matches for each other. They complement each others lives as opposed to defining it. But if you're comfortable in your own skin, then all is right with the world. Buy yourself some flowers and a box of chocolates. Snuggle up in your favorite chair, watch a movie, read a book, whatever makes you happy. 

You're you, and that's okay. 

Today was The Quest For The Denim Jacket. 

When I was a teenager everyone, and I mean everyone, had a jean-jacket. They were hugely popular. I'm of the opinion they are possibly the most amazing outerwear every invented. They are comfortable, durable, and presentable. 

So why the hell can't I find one anymore?? 

I went to every clothing store in the west end of town. I even went so far as to go to a place called Tractor Supply Company. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Everyone had racks and racks of jeans. TSC even had bib-overalls. Not a denim jacket to be found anywhere. Now, I'm not a fashion-plate. I don't wear the latest thing. In fact, I haven't a clue what 'the latest thing' even is. But come on! Are you saying no one anywhere wants a denim jacket? 

The trip wasn't a total loss. I found some nice Hawaiian style shirts on sale, in nice solid colors, and I found a really cool black coat at Kohl's. It was tagged at $395.00 but was on sale for $97.00! How cool is that? I guess they really want to clear out the winter stuff and start pushing spring. 

I also found a pair of plain, black sneakers. This was a lot harder than it sounds. Everything has stripes or electric-orange stitching or colored gel heels or flashing lights. I managed to find a lone pair of plain black in my size and was clutching the box to my chest like I'd found a shoebox stuffed with cash. 

I really need to get out more. 

God I feel old. 

Thanks for listening

-Me again

2/14/2015 7:49 pm  #37

02/14/2015 addendum 

The mood is elevated. 

Seems like I have a lot to say today. 

There's a significant snow storm going on right now. As usual, my crappy weather app said nothing about it. Visibility is down to just a few hundred yards and the roads are being covered. The up side to this is that, even with traffic going by, it's sooooo quiet. 

For some reason, the snow starting put me in the mood for pasta tonight. Does anyone else do that? Not sure why but a huge bowl of spaghetti with meatballs and a few slices of garlic toast sound like just the thing. I always like a big glass of ice-cold milk with spaghetti. I mean, this is a heavy meal so why would milk be so appealing? No idea but I'm going with it anyway. 

I use spaghetti sauce from a can but I doctor it quite a bit. I've found that most canned sauce tends to be too much on the sweet side. I like tangy. I usually add some garlic powder, oregano, and some crushed red pepper to give it a little bit of a bite. I also add around half a can of tomato paste. I like sauce that's the consistency of pizza sauce. Something a little thicker than what you get from a canned sauce. 

While I was picking through the shelves, I noticed I still have three cans of chili. Not in the mood for chili but it sent my thoughts down a side trail anyway. 

Why do people always have chili cook-offs during the hottest months of the year? I could definitely get behind the idea of a big bowl of chili when it's 30 degrees out. When it's in the 90s, all I want is some nice, cold slices of melon, maybe a salad, something thick, hot, and spicy is the last thing from my mind. 

Okay, just wanted to get this out of my head. 

Thanks for listening

-Me again

2/16/2015 6:02 pm  #38

02/16/2015 

The mood is up. 

Today is President's Day. One of five Monday holidays mandated by the federal government. Most employers do not consider this a real holiday. Most folks are at work and aren't getting holiday pay. Since I work for the government I'm off today...with pay. An aspect of my employment I quite enjoy. 

Trash pick up day in my neighborhood is on Mondays and Thursdays. I put my trash can out last night. This morning I could see my trash can down by the road from my window. It had been emptied then turned completely upside down when it was put back. This made me kind of angry. 

The can is one of those large, square, plastic jobs with a lid hinged on one and wheels mounted on the back so you can move it easily. It's rather heavy. Turning it back over involves some straining while bent, something which is not only difficult but extremely painful for me. 

As I was brushing my teeth I was thinking about the trash can again. Like I said, I was angry. Then it occurred to me; it has been extremely windy the past few days. Gusts up to 50 miles per hour. There is the possibility the people collecting the trash put the can back upside down so I wouldn't blow out into the street. 

After considering this, I felt guilty. I had come to a conclusion, on the barest of evidence, without considering any contributing factors. In short, I behaved like an ass. I was angry at someone who was not only doing their job in very adverse weather, they actually did me a favor. 

I started drawing parallels between this and other aspects of my life. 

I like reading news articles online. I like reading Facebook posts. I especially like reading people's comments. It's a really good way to get an idea just what is in the minds of the general public. And in just about every case, people are doing the same thing I did this morning—drawing a conclusion without considering any contributing factors. 

Every once in a while there will be someone who reasonably points out that what people are saying may be incorrect. But, even if you present a mountain of evidence to the contrary, few if any people will ever admit they were wrong. They generally just stop posting, sometimes they go as far as to delete or edit their initial responses, but they will never flat out say “I was wrong”. 

Why do you suppose this is? 

I mean, you lose some credibility, certainly, but people will usually respond positively if you're honest enough to admit you were wrong. So why adhere so rigidly to something you don't even believe? I find this aspect of sociology perplexing. 

I spent the day with a friend, one of the Wendy's, Nice Wendy specifically.

We went to breakfast. Or rather, I had breakfast (it was 1:30 in the afternoon). Then we went to Target where I engaged in some economic stimulating. Bought a new pair of jeans, some socks, and shirt, and a bag to replace my backpack which is falling apart. I had a mind to stop by the grocery store on the way home but one look at the parking lot killed that idea right off. 

Apparently there's a snowstorm coming. Possibly. The average between several forecasts is around three to five inches. This is enough to send hundreds of people running to the grocery store to buy up all the bread, milk, and toilet paper they can find. 

This is another aspect of sociology I find perplexing. 

I mean, what the hell?? We don't live in a third world country. Even where there is deep snow most people will be able to use the roads within a day. We have machines and people to operate them that clear the snow from the roads. We have shovels and snow-blowers. Very few people will be trapped in their homes for weeks by three to five inches. 

Is this just a herd mentality thing? Is everyone rushing to the store because everyone else is rushing to the store? And why the toilet paper? I mean, I can understand. If you go through the eight gallons of milk, fourteen loaves of bread, and gross of eggs you're buying in the day or so it takes to get the roads cleared, you very much might need that 48 pack of Charmin double rolls. 

I wonder how much of the panic purchases end up being thrown away? 

The test cracker I put on the counter on Friday is, as yet, un-nibbled. It looks like the mouse that I captured was the only one in the house. I'm leaving the live traps set up but I've taken up the lethal traps. I've also left a packet of potato hamburger buns on the kitchen table. The Club crackers and potato bread seemed to have been my little visitor's favorites. 

Stay warm. 

And guard your bread and milk supplies. 

You never know how far people will go. 

Thanks for listening  

-Me again

2/17/2015 9:13 pm  #39

So I went to my first tae kwon do class in almost a year (previous job schedule kept me away). 

WOW humbling. (Also I picked a terrible night to return - workout, which mostly means heavy into pushups and crunches, with the added bonus of rope-climbing, which I'd never done before and, let's be honest, I can still say I've basically never done successfully.)

But amazing what it did for my mood. First, that place feels like home, and the people feel like family. Second, because I know working out improves my mental state. And third, because just knowing that I still CAN do this - that I do, in fact, deserve to wear this black belt - gives me a confidence boost I really needed.

Here is to hoping it can become a regular thing again. At my best I was going 4+ days a week, when I was working fully from home, and while I don't think that's feasible, I'd love to know I could solidly commit to one or two days every week.

Joan
I'm just here for the party.

2/18/2015 6:36 pm  #40

jconcilio wrote:

So I went to my first tae kwon do class in almost a year (previous job schedule kept me away). 

WOW humbling. (Also I picked a terrible night to return - workout, which mostly means heavy into pushups and crunches, with the added bonus of rope-climbing, which I'd never done before and, let's be honest, I can still say I've basically never done successfully.)

But amazing what it did for my mood. First, that place feels like home, and the people feel like family. Second, because I know working out improves my mental state. And third, because just knowing that I still CAN do this - that I do, in fact, deserve to wear this black belt - gives me a confidence boost I really needed.

Here is to hoping it can become a regular thing again. At my best I was going 4+ days a week, when I was working fully from home, and while I don't think that's feasible, I'd love to know I could solidly commit to one or two days every week.

Good to hear, Joan.  

I'm glad you're reconnecting with things that make you happy...if not exhausted.  

-Me again

Board footera