The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2015 1:55 pm  #1

Cocktails

I love vintage cocktail stuff. I have a pretty decent collection that I've accumulated over the years. I've also started a small collection of books pertaining to cocktails and the like. The latest book I've been eyeballing up is this one - 

Last edited by BYOB (2/12/2015 1:57 pm)

2/12/2015 1:58 pm  #2

Re: Cocktails

And this one - 

Last edited by BYOB (2/12/2015 1:59 pm)

2/13/2015 5:06 pm  #3

Good stuff, BYOB.
Where are you coming across this stuff, garage sales and the like?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/14/2015 8:43 am  #4

Flea markets mostly. Occasionally the odd antique shop or church sale. I much prefer treasure-hunt type shopping where you never know what you'll come across vs. wandering around flourescent lit aisles where 20 of the same thing are lined up on the shelf. I like things with a history, and I like quality. I've gotten so many amazing things over the years. My "swanky" bar collection started with some killer Irish crystal lowball glasses and decanters -(you know, the type that make you feel like the supreme leader of your domain and your minions, even if those minions only consist of a couple of indifferent cats that do not in any way listen to said supreme leader - sigh), then some neat cocktail shakers, then the drink guide contraption and old drink guide books, glass stirrers, pitchers (my favorite is a Bombay Sapphire antique porcelain one with Queen Victoria on it), serving trays - mostly silver, oh, and an awesome mesh covered seltzer bottle. I'll see if I can find pictures of some of this stuff on the net somewhere. If I try to actually take pictures and post them, we'll all be antiques before I get it figured out! Proudly, I've never paid more than probably $35 at the most for any one thing. And contrary to popular belief, you don't have to haggle, because truthfully, the prices are already too cheap for what it is.

I'm thinking I may have missed my calling as a museum curator, with all my mini collections. Luckily, I have managed to display them pretty well, which keeps me from being anywhere near the hoarder label thank goodness. Recently, I have started to collect inlaid Italian wood pieces. Small furniture, trays, boxes. They were/are masters at that craft. The skill involved just amazes me, and there they are, just sitting for sale amongst a bunch of dusty junk for a price that would have their makers passing out!

2/14/2015 8:55 am  #5

Here's that Bombay Sapphire pub jug -    Sorry! I have no idea how to make the picture smaller! It's the only one I could find on the net.[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/z/X2QAAOxyMxpRtT2H/$(KGrHqNHJFQFGuIyNOt4BRtT2HM3L!~~60_57.JPG[/img]

Last edited by BYOB (2/14/2015 8:58 am)

2/14/2015 9:18 am  #6

Very cool stuff, BYOB.
Keep sharing!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/14/2015 9:42 am  #7

The mesh covered seltzer bottle -    although, this one's missing the old CO2 case

Last edited by BYOB (2/14/2015 9:43 am)

2/14/2015 9:57 am  #8

I can see you mixing drinks with that seltzer bottle, wearing either a tux or a smoking jacket!
David Niven in the modern age 

https://mattsko.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/davidniven.jpg

Last edited by Goose (2/14/2015 10:06 am)

2/14/2015 10:07 am  #9

A previous life maybe!   

There, avatar changed. Thanks Goose! Now at least in cyberspace I can live the Niven lifestyle! Cocktails anyone?

Last edited by BYOB (2/14/2015 10:17 am)

2/14/2015 1:25 pm  #10

Please show the Italian-made violin when you get one.

Board footera