The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2015 1:11 pm  #1

'Star Trek' actress Nichelle Nichols suffers stroke

'Star Trek' actress Nichelle Nichols suffers stroke

(CNN)Barely three months after the loss of Leonard Nimoy, "Star Trek" fans have gotten more troubling news.

Nichelle Nichols, 82, who played Lt. Nyota Uhura in the original TV series and films, suffered a mild stroke Wednesday night, according to a post Thursday on her Facebook page.

"Last night while at her home in L.A., Nichelle Nichols suffered from a mild stroke," said the statement by Zach McGinnis of Galactic Productions, which books Nichols and other actors for public appearances.

"She is currently undergoing testing to determine how severe the stroke was," the statement continued. Please keep her in your thoughts."

Nichols was a TV rarity when "Star Trek" began in 1966: a black woman in a notable role on a prime-time series. There had been African-American women on TV before, but they often played maids or domestics; Nichols' Uhura was an integral part of the multicultural "Star Trek" crew.

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. called it "the first nonstereotypical role portrayed by a black woman in television history."

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/07/2015 11:19 am  #2

Re: 'Star Trek' actress Nichelle Nichols suffers stroke

Sorry to hear this.  I wish her good health. 

I was just thinking the other day how many of the original crew were still alive.  Other than Nichelle, William Shattner and George Takei. (sp?) Is anyone else alive?

Last edited by florentine (6/07/2015 11:20 am)

6/09/2015 4:32 am  #3

Re: 'Star Trek' actress Nichelle Nichols suffers stroke

I believe that Walter Koenig is still with us.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera