The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2015 8:52 am  #1

92-year-old becomes oldest woman to finish marathon

An amazing feat that a 92 year old lady could accomplish 26 miles!
If you have done any long distance running you know how difficult
a marathon is.

92-year-old becomes oldest woman to finish marathon

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3be7f6a7a6f248f994a693096d918c17/92-year-old-seeks-become-oldest-woman-finish-marathon

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A 92-year-old cancer survivor rocked her way into the record books Sunday, becoming the oldest woman to finish a marathon.Harriette Thompson of Charlotte, North Carolina, completed Sunday's Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in San Diego in 7 hours, 24 minutes, 36 seconds.

She was mobbed by well-wishers as she crossed the finish line."I'm fine, they're really pampering me here," Thompson said in a firm, joyful voice as people all around her shouted congratulations.This was her 16th Rock 'n' Roll Marathon and, by far, the hardest."It's always harder but this year has been a bad year for me," she said, adding her husband died in January following a lingering illness and she battled a staph infection in one of her legs."I couldn't train very well because my husband was very ill and I had to be with him for some time and then when he died in January I had some treatments on my leg," she said. "I was just really thrilled that I could finish today."

The oldest woman to previously complete a marathon was Gladys Burrill, who was 92 years and 19 days old when she completed the 2010 Honolulu Marathon.

Last edited by Common Sense (6/01/2015 8:52 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

6/01/2015 12:04 pm  #2

Re: 92-year-old becomes oldest woman to finish marathon

Amazing ! 

And to boot, she did not start running until she was in her 70's. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera