The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2015 10:45 am  #21

Re: What's In A Name

I really wish there was a way to like these posts.

The stories are facinating.

Tarnation, I espically like yours.  I thought it was just that old exclamation "Tarnation!".

Tarnished reputation.  That's so cool! 

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/12/2015 12:35 pm  #22

I forgot to put this in;

Having a near life experience.

I'm autistic.  It was classified as Asperger's Syndrome but that classification was removed from the DSM now I'm classified as High Functioning, mild to moderate affective.

I once tried to explain to the woman I was seeing at the time how I see the world.

There is an architectural feature in some of the buildings in York City.  It's a corner turret on the second floor.  Basically a small, round room on the outside of the building with windows all the way around.

You can see the world all around you...but you're not all the way in the world, and you're not all the way in the building.  You're somewhere in between.

That's what it feels lime most of the time.  Like I have only the most cursory understanding of everything around me.  The turret world.

Everyone has probably heard of people having a near-death experience, where they describe what things were like on the other side.

I feel the term near-life experience best describes what my world is like...at least in the fewest number of words.   

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/12/2015 12:53 pm  #23

CT, I thought the same thing about Tarnation's name. I too thought it was from the old saying "what in tarnation?!".

I also wish we could 'like' posts. I keep wanting to, and I even start to move the cursor over to where the 'like button' was on the old exchange before I realize there isn't one anymore. 

2/12/2015 1:13 pm  #24

I asked about "Like" a post and one of our distinguished--or are they astonished?--administrators said no way, cannot be done, they tried, failed.  It would be very handy.  Sometimes you don't have any words of wisdom to add to a post but still like or want to show agreement.

2/12/2015 1:35 pm  #25

I appreciate that they tried. I guess we could do the +1 thing someone suggested, but I don't want to hog up screen space just for that. Maybe I will anyway. I guess I'll have to write which post # that I'm +1ing so it doesn't get confusing.

2/12/2015 3:36 pm  #26

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

I forgot to put this in;

Having a near life experience.

I'm autistic. It was classified as Asperger's Syndrome but that classification was removed from the DSM now I'm classified as High Functioning, mild to moderate affective.

I once tried to explain to the woman I was seeing at the time how I see the world.

There is an architectural feature in some of the buildings in York City. It's a corner turret on the second floor. Basically a small, round room on the outside of the building with windows all the way around.

You can see the world all around you...but you're not all the way in the world, and you're not all the way in the building. You're somewhere in between.

That's what it feels lime most of the time. Like I have only the most cursory understanding of everything around me. The turret world.

Everyone has probably heard of people having a near-death experience, where they describe what things were like on the other side.

I feel the term near-life experience best describes what my world is like...at least in the fewest number of words.

CT, I knew there was a reason we get on so well... my daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's right before they yanked it from the DSM. In her case they shifted her to PDD-NOS afterward, which is as useless as teats on a bull, as my dad would have said, but ...

Anyway, she's my hero. Since her diagnosis, a number of other friends and family members have shared their stories of life with Asperger's, especially adult life. One thing my ex-husband and I talk about a lot is how hard life is for her in so many ways - day to day stuff we take for granted, is just a ton of WORK for her - but how capable she is of finding her way. I am in awe of her. And you. And unrelatedly, your story about the stuffed moose made me almost cry. That is the best.

Joan
I'm just here for the party.

Board footera