The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2015 10:10 am  #11

Re: What's In A Name

Err, well, I'm Joan. Concilio. So... jconcilio. Actually, though, it speaks to something about me - I generally have always used my real name in my online interactions, both for work reasons and personal ones. The only side name I use is definity, which I came up with in high school and which is my Twitter handle, but even that has become tied to me. (I'm mad, though, because some stupid contact-lens company has appropriated it; I've been using that around the interwebs since about 1997, so I'm a little ticked.)

The great thing about it, though, and the Ouroboros moniker, are that I can proudly say Joan Concilio is my ACTUAL name again. It's my maiden name, and while married I (unwillingly) took my husband's last name personally, though I continued to use Concilio professionally.

Let me say right now that Chris, my ex, is a good human, and we are still friends, but the name thing was REALLY rough for me. My name means a lot to me and I missed it. So to be able to have it back legally and know every time I see it, "HEY, THAT'S ME", it feels good.

Very ouroboros. (Cyclical.) The ouroboros is a symbol that comes from alchemy, which my daughter studied the history of for the past couple years as a homeschooler. It is the name given to a snake eating its own tail, and is symbolic of the cyclical nature of life, including death and rebirth, but also perpetual growth and change, and that was very relevant to me right now. 

It's also cool because it's something a lot of people don't know that I share with my daughter. I have an infinity tattoo on my right ankle; I'd hoped to get an ouroboros on my left at some point, who knows?

Joan
I'm just here for the party.

2/11/2015 12:19 pm  #12

I've always been perpelexed by that aspect of marriage.  

Why does the woman have to surrender her identity?  Is it a stamp of ownership?  I can see where you would have a problem with that.

I've known several married couples that just kept their own names.  Seems to make a lot more sense although what name the kids will use can be tricky.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/11/2015 1:01 pm  #13

These days it's usually a choice of the woman, Ct.  Some prefer husband's surname, some use the hypened his' & her's, other are indifferent about it all.  In the past it was just automatic--wifey becomes husband!

2/11/2015 6:00 pm  #14

My "exchange name", BYOB, is obviously a play on the Bring your own Bottle thing, but stands for Bring your own Brain. It has no deep meaning other than I like people that think for themselves and don't just parrot what they hear without thinking about it. Plus, I had to come up with one and was coming up blank at the time. You know how that goes..... My avatar changes because there are too many funny one's out there to use, so when I find another one I like, I change it for awhile. On the old exchange, the last one I used was the American flag as a UPC barcode. Sometimes they're more political, and sometimes, like the one I have now, I choose just because they make me laugh.

I have to say, I think "Brady Nunch" may well be the best name here so far.  (is it me, or does this smiley seem a little too ecstatic? He's the only laughing one I found.)

Last edited by BYOB (2/11/2015 6:34 pm)

2/11/2015 8:09 pm  #15

I'm a huge fan of The Simpsons, and my name comes from an episode where Homer changes his name to Max Power. Per Homer, he "got the name off a hair dryer"

I'm also a gearhead, so it doubles as a nod to automobilia.

2/11/2015 8:33 pm  #16

Max Power wrote:

I'm a huge fan of The Simpsons, and my name comes from an episode where Homer changes his name to Max Power. Per Homer, he "got the name off a hair dryer"

<to the tune of 'Goldfinger'>

♫ Max Power! He's the man with the name you'd love to touch! But you musn't tooouuuch. His name sounds good in your ear! But when you say it, you musn't fear! Because his name can be said by anyone... ♫

My other favorite line from the episode:

Homer: “Kids, there’s three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!” 

Bart: “Isn’t that the wrong way?  

Homer: “Yeah, but faster!”

Last edited by TheLagerLad (2/11/2015 8:34 pm)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/11/2015 8:36 pm  #17

When I first came online back in the 90's' I needed a handle.  I was interested in cooking and decided on a cooking -related handle.  I chose 'fondue' but evidently many people before me chose this handle.  Second choice was 'Florentine'.  Many people commented that it was such a pretty name and thought it was my actual name.  I continue to use it many years later.

2/11/2015 8:49 pm  #18

TheLagerLad wrote:

My other favorite line from the episode:

Homer: “Kids, there’s three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!” 

Bart: “Isn’t that the wrong way?  

Homer: “Yeah, but faster!”

Love it

Remember, nobody snuggles with Max Power...you strap yourself in and feel the G's!

2/11/2015 8:55 pm  #19

I prefer a vehicle that doesn't hurt Mother Earth. It's a go cart, powered by my own sense of self-satisfaction.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/12/2015 3:22 am  #20

I chose Dream Realm because I just wanted something unique and sort of "other-wordly".  Dreams and dream interpretation have always been fascinating to me; I am personally a very vivid dreamer.  

As far as my avatar is concerned, I did a Google search when I joined the New Exchange for "dream realm images".  I found my avatar embedded in a long list of images, and it stood out immediately and spoke to me.  The woman in the image has long, brown hair like I do, and I like the fact she is holding a dream catcher (I really love dream catchers).  Plus, the image contains a lot of purple, which is my favorite color.  

Carpe Diem!

Board footera