The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2015 5:13 pm  #11

Re: As the World Embraces Diesels, Americans Still Play Hard to Get

Not that I know of. Sometimes I think that's half the allure for Americans. We always seem to want the biggest and loudest. I usually just chalk it up to a Napolean complex of some sort.

In light of all those Harley riders, etc. that are considerate with their noise, I'm thinking there should be some kind of "bake cookies for the considerate rider appreciation day" or something.

Last edited by BYOB (2/11/2015 5:15 pm)

2/11/2015 8:14 pm  #12

As the owner of a fairly loud vehicle (V8 with a modified exhaust system), it's entirely possible to keep the noise down...the worst offenders just don't care enough to bother. I park with the back end of the car facing away from my apartment building, so when I start it in the morning, the noise projects away from the building. When driving it's just a matter of shifting early to keep the revs low and not hammering the gas. There's a time and place for that and it's not in neighborhoods, at the wee hours of the morning, or a combination of both.

2/11/2015 10:29 pm  #13

Thanks for being considerate, Max--I think.  Do you have that Napolean complex that BYOB spoke of?  Why is any noisy vehicle ever necessary?  And while on the subject--would some one please explain these jack brakes to me.  I never heard of such a thing--litterally--until moving back to Pennsyltucky. 

2/12/2015 7:20 pm  #14

My noisy car has a bunch of work done to it in the name of making it more powerful - and sometimes more noise comes with the turf when you get into that. The exhaust system is often quite restrictive, by nature, and replacing certain parts of it with freer-flowing components can open up a lot of power. So there's something of a point behind it. I don't believe in making a vehicle noisy just for the sake of making it noisy - like the guys who hang a giant muffler on the back of an economy car and buzz all over town making horrendous noise.

Honestly, a little bit of it does come from having an affection for hot rods and muscle cars, and traditionally those are not the quietest beasts...so of course I want mine to sound that way as well, because that's just what they are supposed to sound like But again, there's a time and place to let it roar. Being a car enthusiast and being a good neighbor do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Max Power (2/12/2015 7:22 pm)

2/12/2015 8:26 pm  #15

Somebody here gets a plate of cookies - er - donuts!

Seriously, there is a world of difference between a well built finely tuned engine and rolling around sounding flatulent, which seems to be the deal with so many people like Max Power said.

Incidently, one of my favorite classic "noisemakers" = 1970 GTO Judge, preferably in Orbit Orange. This very car in this very color can be seen at the beginning of the movie Dazed & Confused.

2/12/2015 10:13 pm  #16

I've always looked upon vehicle owners who like--or worse yet, love their loud vehicles to be looking for attention.  It is often given with a look of disgust.

Board footera