The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2015 6:11 am  #1

As the World Embraces Diesels, Americans Still Play Hard to Get

As the W

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 8:12 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/09/2015 8:23 am  #2

Re: As the World Embraces Diesels, Americans Still Play Hard to Get

I had one of those early '80's Detroit diesels, a full size Chevy V-8.

The first time I bought fuel was a rude shock because it was early winter and, of course, home heating oil and # 2 Diesel are the same.  So I was paying 75% more than gas.   

But the fuel economy was fantastic...overall about 28-32 mpg but 35-38 on the highway. And in the "summer driving season" diesel, being the same as heating oil, was at its annual low.  I remember getting to a half tank in Ohio and filling up for less than $10.00.

The "only" problem was that those engines were prone to blowing headgaskets.  Replaced the engine twice but not a third time.

Last edited by Tarnation (2/09/2015 8:25 am)

Life is an Orthros.

2/09/2015 1:20 pm  #3

I see diesl fuel is again over $3.00.

2/09/2015 6:41 pm  #4

Diesel does still have a stigma working against it in the US, thanks in part to the clattery, smoky diesels of days gone by. I think a lot of consumers just don't understand how far diesel technology has come over the past 20-30 years.

The price premium that one pays for a diesel car over its gasoline counterpart - and then the premium you pay for each gallon of fuel - is definitely a turnoff for many as well. Diesels make the most sense for people who drive a lot each year; the consumer who only does the average 12-15,000 miles per year is going to have to wait longer to see their return on investment. Diesels also tend to hold their value better, so their resale value is higher, but that's something many people do not take into consideration.

I think diesels are great, but with so many automakers focusing their efforts on hybrids and electric vehicles, there is little chance of them ever gaining widespread popularity here as they have in Europe.

2/09/2015 7:01 pm  #5

Diesels still produce some noxious fumes even if they aren't belching smoke.

I've seen lots of stores that are posting signs now saying no idling for diesels.

Speaking for myself.  If I'm behind a diesel car or a truck with the exhaust close to the ground the fumes make me sick.

I had considered getting a diesel VW.  I understand the VW Golf with a 1.8 liter diesel engine and a manual transmission gets 45 miles per gallon.

The downside, diesels have no power at all.

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (2/09/2015 7:02 pm)

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/09/2015 7:18 pm  #6

The "no idling" signs aren't aimed at diesel cars (though technically they would apply), they are aimed at trucks and other commercial vehicles that are often left idling for extended periods of time, which is why you'll usually see those signs near the receiving dock at most buildings. That state law was put into effect in 2008 and limits diesel vehicle idling to five minutes per hour, although it's rarely - if ever - enforced.

Diesel passenger vehicles do have a different powerband to contend with, to get the best performance out of them (speed-wise) requires a bit of adaptation from the driving style of a gasoline-powered vehicle. The same can be said of hybrid vehicles, though. For example, the newest VW Golf diesel is slower 0-60 by about a second (just under 8 seconds, vs just under 7 seconds) compared to its gas counterpart - although really, either of those is perfectly adequate for everyday driving needs.

Diesel engines tend to have a more compact powerband, so if you are above or below that sweet spot, they can feel like they are really dogging. But to compare the diesel and gas Golfs again, for example, the diesel model actually has markedly quicker in-gear acceleration times (if you're on the highway and hit the gas to pass someone, for example) than the gas model.

Last edited by Max Power (2/09/2015 7:18 pm)

2/11/2015 3:22 pm  #7

Okay, maybe I'm a motor snob, but I love the sound of a good well-tuned engine, and diesels just sound like crap. (not to mention there's a guy in my neighborhood who has a giant beast of a new truck that really only a farmer needs, and every morning I would like to take an air horn to his left ear in retaliation for his infernal need to start it up while everyone's still asleep and rev the crap out of it until the neighborhood's awake.)

2/11/2015 4:18 pm  #8

I have a similar but opposite situation close by.  Never a fan of  motorcycles or the unneccessary noise made by motorcyclists there's a man who starts up his bike around 6 in the morning.  Rarely do I hear him leave his driveway or even as he's a half block away.  I don't know if he's just being considerate of his neighbors but I've always wanted to thank him for being so with starting up his motorcycle and driving off.

2/11/2015 4:33 pm  #9

You should thank him, because most people are not that considerate. People are usually so quick to give out criticism, but not so quick with praise. Plus, then he knows that his extra effort is not in vain. We used to have an extremely loud Harley guy (the bike, not the guy) in our neighborhood, and he would go down the alley every day revving his bike as he went by any cars with alarm systems setting them all off. At first I thought "maybe he doesn't know he's causing such ruckus" (trying to be all benefit-of-the-doubt), but a friend of mine who is also a Harley rider said that he knows exactly what he's doing. So then I began to wish that the motor would magically just fall out of the damn bike. Maybe it did, because we don't hear it anymore. 

2/11/2015 4:54 pm  #10

flowergirl wrote:

there's a man who starts up his bike around 6 in the morning.  Rarely do I hear him leave his driveway or even as he's a half block away.  I don't know if he's just being considerate of his neighbors but I've always wanted to thank him for being so with starting up his motorcycle and driving off.

Sounds like my neighbor.  He rides a Harley in good weather and you can hardly hear him leaving and returning.  Returning especially because his lane is near the bottom of a hill and he just sort of glides in.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera