The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2015 6:26 am  #1

Why New Jersey doesn't let you pump your own gas

Why New Jersey doesn't let you pump your own gas

Read the full story here:
http://fortune.com/2015/05/18/new-jersey-gas-pump/

Lawmakers in New Jersey and Oregon are considering bills that would finally give drivers in those states the option to pump their own gas. But why was that practice banned in the first place?

Let’s start with the case in New Jersey. The Garden State’s ban on self-service gas stations, which are allowed in 48 states, began in 1949 when the New Jersey Legislature passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act. That law, enacted over concerns about the safety of consumers pumping petroleum themselves, was later followed by many other states. However, almost every state has since overturned their self-serve bans.

Some contend the New Jersey law was rooted in corruption, not safety concerns. There are also worries that young, inexperienced drivers run into trouble when visiting neighboring states and forced to pump their own gas for the first time (that was an issue for the author of this story when he drove in Pennsylvania as a teenager).

Last edited by Common Sense (5/20/2015 6:27 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/20/2015 1:37 pm  #2

Re: Why New Jersey doesn't let you pump your own gas

Jersey is the best of all worlds. gas is usually about 20 cents cheaper than in PA, you don't have to get out of your car on cold or rainy days to pump gas, and it provides a ton of jobs.

I say they keep things as is.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/20/2015 1:46 pm  #3

TheLagerLad wrote:

Jersey is the best of all worlds. gas is usually about 20 cents cheaper than in PA, you don't have to get out of your car on cold or rainy days to pump gas, and it provides a ton of jobs.

I say they keep things as is.

Yeah, what's not to like about that ? 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/20/2015 3:12 pm  #4

In her younger days, my wife had a bumper sticker that read,
"Jersey Girls Don't Pump Gas"

So, what's not to like about it?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera