The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2015 3:49 pm  #1

Senate deals stinging defeat to Obama trade agenda

Glad to see it fail!

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/241780-senate-deals-stinging-defeat-to-obama-trade-agenda

Senate Democrats on Tuesday delivered a stinging blow to President Obama’s trade agenda by voting to prevent the chamber from picking up fast-track legislation.A motion to cut off a filibuster and proceed to the trade bill fell short of a 60-vote hurdle, 52-45. Sen. Tom Carper (Del.) was the only Democrat to back it.

Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) switched his vote from yes to no to reserve his ability to return to the measure at a later date. Fast-track is a top legislative priority for the White House, but it has run into significant Senate opposition that has been led by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). It faces even more opposition from Democrats in the House, and the surprise Senate failure will raise doubts about whether the legislation will make its way through Congress.Labor unions and other left-leaning groups have declared war on the fast-track bill, which they argue would ship jobs overseas.

The Senate is generally a more pro-trade body than the House, and it has been easier to move trade agreements through the upper chamber. The standoff Tuesday focused on procedure, though there is significant opposition to fast-track itself in the Democratic conference. Senate Democrats demanded that McConnell combine the fast-track bill with three other pieces of trade legislation, including a customs bill that would address currency manipulation.

The opposition included Sen. Ron Wyden (Ore.) and other pro-trade Democrats who back the fast-track bill.“The group is concerned about the lack of a commitment to trade enforcement, which is specifically the customs bill,” Wyden told reporters in explaining his opposition.

Last edited by Common Sense (5/12/2015 3:50 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/12/2015 3:51 pm  #2

Re: Senate deals stinging defeat to Obama trade agenda

That's very short-sighted.
Free trade benefits us all.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/12/2015 5:37 pm  #3

I thought he TPP was a bad idea from the start.

Although, if Obama was against the deal, I wonder how many R-Tribe water carriers would be for it.  We will never know.  You know that, "If Obama is for it, then I gotta be against it" mentality. 

Luckily, Independents like me don't have to march with tribal leaders.

5/12/2015 7:57 pm  #4

Goose wrote:

Agreed. 

It is not like we don't trade or do business with other nations. As a matter of fact that ship sailed a long time ago and the citizens of the US decided that "made in America" was  not as important as we tend to think. What we need to make sure of in all trade agreements is that we have unfettered access to foreign markets as they to ours.

When it comes to free trade we owe it to ourselves to make sure that we DO participate and don't get left out. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/12/2015 8:39 pm  #5

Goose wrote:

Agree that free trade benefits us all, but the TPP appears to be one of those things where Obama and the republicans are saying, "trust us" and not being very clear on what this agreement actually does.

For example, the Electronic Frontier Foundation has some real problems with it.....

What Is the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP)?

The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a secretive, multinational trade agreement that threatens to extend restrictive intellectual property (IP) laws across the globe and rewrite international rules on its enforcement. The main problems are two-fold:

(1) Intellectual Property Chapter: Leaked draft texts of the agreement show that the IP chapter would have extensive negative ramifications for users’ freedom of speech, right to privacy and due process, and hinder peoples' abilities to innovate.

(2) Lack of Transparency: The entire process has shut out multi-stakeholder participation and is shrouded in secrecy.

The twelve nations currently negotiating the TPP are the US, Japan, Australia, Peru, Malaysia, Vietnam, New Zealand, Chile, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Brunei Darussalam. The TPP contains a chapter on intellectual property covering copyright, trademarks, and patents. Since the draft text of the agreement has never been officially released to the public, we know from leaked documents, such as the May 2014 draft of the TPP Intellectual Property Chapter [PDF], that US negotiators are pushing for the adoption of copyright measures far more restrictive than currently required by international treaties, including the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA).

The TPP Will Rewrite Global Rules on Intellectual Property Enforcement

All signatory countries will be required to conform their domestic laws and policies to the provisions of the Agreement. In the US, this is likely to further entrench controversial aspects of US copyright law (such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act [DMCA]) and restrict the ability of Congress to engage in domestic law reform to meet the evolving IP needs of American citizens and the innovative technology sector. The recently leaked US-proposed IP chapter also includes provisions that appear to go beyond current US law.

Why You Should Care

TPP raises significant concerns about citizens’ freedom of expression, due process, innovation, the future of the Internet’s global infrastructure, and the right of sovereign nations to develop policies and laws that best meet their domestic priorities. In sum, the TPP puts at risk some of the most fundamental rights that enable access to knowledge for the world’s citizens.

The US Trade Rep is pursuing a TPP agreement that will require signatory counties to adopt heightened copyright protection that advances the agenda of the US entertainment and pharmaceutical industries agendas, but omits the flexibilities and exceptions that protect Internet users and technology innovators.

The TPP will affect countries beyond the 11 that are currently involved in negotiations. Like ACTA, the TPP Agreement is a plurilateral agreement that will be used to create new heightened global IP enforcement norms. Countries that are not parties to the negotiation will likely be asked to accede to the TPP as a condition of bilateral trade agreements with the US and other TPP members, or evaluated against the TPP's copyright enforcement standards in the annual Special 301 process administered by the US Trade Rep.

And Salon, one of Obama's biggest supporters in the websphere, calls out 10 problems with the TPP.

I just think we need to be told a lot more about this agreement before we can move forward with it.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/12/2015 9:00 pm  #6

TheLagerLad wrote:

Goose wrote:

Agree that free trade benefits us all, but the TPP appears to be one of those things where Obama and the republicans are saying, "trust us" and not being very clear on what this agreement actually does.

For example, the Electronic Frontier Foundation has some real problems with it.....

What Is the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP)?

The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a secretive, multinational trade agreement that threatens to extend restrictive intellectual property (IP) laws across the globe and rewrite international rules on its enforcement. The main problems are two-fold:

(1) Intellectual Property Chapter: Leaked draft texts of the agreement show that the IP chapter would have extensive negative ramifications for users’ freedom of speech, right to privacy and due process, and hinder peoples' abilities to innovate.

(2) Lack of Transparency: The entire process has shut out multi-stakeholder participation and is shrouded in secrecy.

The twelve nations currently negotiating the TPP are the US, Japan, Australia, Peru, Malaysia, Vietnam, New Zealand, Chile, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Brunei Darussalam. The TPP contains a chapter on intellectual property covering copyright, trademarks, and patents. Since the draft text of the agreement has never been officially released to the public, we know from leaked documents, such as the May 2014 draft of the TPP Intellectual Property Chapter [PDF], that US negotiators are pushing for the adoption of copyright measures far more restrictive than currently required by international treaties, including the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA).

The TPP Will Rewrite Global Rules on Intellectual Property Enforcement

All signatory countries will be required to conform their domestic laws and policies to the provisions of the Agreement. In the US, this is likely to further entrench controversial aspects of US copyright law (such as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act [DMCA]) and restrict the ability of Congress to engage in domestic law reform to meet the evolving IP needs of American citizens and the innovative technology sector. The recently leaked US-proposed IP chapter also includes provisions that appear to go beyond current US law.

Why You Should Care

TPP raises significant concerns about citizens’ freedom of expression, due process, innovation, the future of the Internet’s global infrastructure, and the right of sovereign nations to develop policies and laws that best meet their domestic priorities. In sum, the TPP puts at risk some of the most fundamental rights that enable access to knowledge for the world’s citizens.

The US Trade Rep is pursuing a TPP agreement that will require signatory counties to adopt heightened copyright protection that advances the agenda of the US entertainment and pharmaceutical industries agendas, but omits the flexibilities and exceptions that protect Internet users and technology innovators.

The TPP will affect countries beyond the 11 that are currently involved in negotiations. Like ACTA, the TPP Agreement is a plurilateral agreement that will be used to create new heightened global IP enforcement norms. Countries that are not parties to the negotiation will likely be asked to accede to the TPP as a condition of bilateral trade agreements with the US and other TPP members, or evaluated against the TPP's copyright enforcement standards in the annual Special 301 process administered by the US Trade Rep.

And Salon, one of Obama's biggest supporters in the websphere, calls out 10 problems with the TPP.

I just think we need to be told a lot more about this agreement before we can move forward with it.

I agree that the TPP needs to be fully vetted (which it currently was NOT).  I don't have a problem with the "fast track" of it being derailed to allow further discussion. Free trade, however, is a process that we need to participate in (as long as it truly IS free trade for ALL parties). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/13/2015 1:00 am  #7

I guess it all depends on how you define "FREE TRADE". Is "FREE TRADE" where one country manipulates it currency? Is "FREE TRADE" when one country exports over one billion dollars more a day to your country than your country exports to them? Or, is "FREE TRADE" where one country undercuts the price of a product (i.e. steel) and is even willing to sell it at a loss in order to gain the market. Sorry but I am with the Democrats on this issue. While my politcs are very conservative, this is one of the areas where I have great disagreement with most republican leaders. I don't necessarily believe that these Democrats are against "FRRE TRADE" - I believe they may be more concerned about "FAIR TRADE". Now, if a true "FAIR TRADE" and "FREE TRADE" bill is offered -- I will be all for it!

Last edited by JimmyBear (5/13/2015 4:06 pm)

5/13/2015 5:10 am  #8

Common Sense wrote:

Glad to see it fail!

Why?
It would be nice to know if there is anything involved beyond the joy of seeing the words "Obama" and "defeat" in the same headline.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/13/2015 6:41 am  #9

I agree with JimmyBear here.  There is a difference between free trade and fair trade.  An important distinction.

5/14/2015 6:19 am  #10

From reports, the TPP trade deal will pass today. 

Board footera