The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/12/2015 6:20 am  #1

Holy Cow!

It's hard for me to wrap my head around this even though I've studied art for many years and am currently an artist myself:

Christie's sold a painting by Pablo Picasso Monday night for $179.4 million, far exceeding both the firm's expectations and the previous record for the most expensive work of art ever sold at auction.

The 1955 painting, Women of Algiers (Version "O"), is just one of several prized pieces going on sale during the May auction season. Bloomberg reports that dealers are putting art worth an estimated $2.3 billion up for auction over a period of two weeks this month. On Monday night, the auction house also sold Alberto Giacometti's Pointing Man, a 1947 sculpture, for $141.3 million.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/12/why-this-picasso-sold-for-180-million-and-what-it-tells-us-about-the-worlds-super-rich/

Last edited by Just Fred (5/12/2015 6:22 am)

5/12/2015 6:41 am  #2

Re: Holy Cow!

It looks great on the wall of my man cave next to my 70" flat screen.

5/12/2015 7:44 am  #3

5/12/2015 1:14 pm  #4

No, this is a work of art appropriate for a true man cave.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/12/2015 2:00 pm  #5

Are you kidding me ! ? ! ?

I'll take semi-nude women, even if it's a cubist's interpretation, over a bunch of card playing canines in my man cave any day!

Board footera