The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2015 8:17 am  #1

Liberal, labor groups fume as Obama hails free trade at Nike

Liberal, labor groups fume as Obama hails free trade at Nike

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/241474-liberal-labor-groups-fume-as-obama-hails-free-trade-at-nike

Liberal groups are fuming over President Obama’s decision pitch his trade agenda at Nike’s headquarters. Many on the left say that the global shoe and apparel manufacturer is the poster child for what’s wrong with the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal Obama is negotiating with 11 other Pacific nations.

The company has long faced accusations of using sweatshop labor in Asia to make its products, and trade critics argue the new trade deals would make it even easier for U.S. companies to exploit cheap overseas labor. “It is sad to see how detached from reality President Obama is when it comes to TPP,” said Murshed Zaheed, deputy political director at CREDO. “The symbolism of his speech is staggering — the Nike brand was built by outsourcing manufacturing to sweatshops in Asia.” President Obama took on his Democratic critics, calling them “wrong” in his speech at the company's headquarters and pushing Congress to grant him fast-track authority to finalize the TPP deal.

“On trade, I actually think some of my dearest friends are wrong. They're just wrong,” Obama said of opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal. “This is the most progressive trade deal in history.”Nike bolstered Obama’s trade push Friday, announcing the deal would allow it to begin making its products in the U.S., which would result in 10,000 new manufacturing and engineering jobs. The company has said it has reformed its labor practices in nations like Vietnam.But labor groups are not sold. They cast doubt on Nike’s pledge to create thousands of new jobs in the U.S. 

The AFL-CIO, the nation's largest labor coalition, questioned Nike's pledge to create thousands of jobs in the United States. “We have heard similar promises from companies before, and very few have panned out,” said the group's Communications Director Eric Hauser. “Decades of experience have taught us that corporate-driven trade policy too often accelerates a global race to the bottom.”

Last edited by Common Sense (5/11/2015 8:18 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/11/2015 8:19 am  #2

Re: Liberal, labor groups fume as Obama hails free trade at Nike

I applaud the President for taking on traditional allies in the pursuit to achieve what is on the balance a good agreement.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/11/2015 9:20 am  #3

I'm not sold on the TPP thing, either.  I'm with Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren on this.

5/11/2015 10:59 am  #4

Americans decided quite a while back that they were more than willing to buy the imported goods. That ship has sailed. Manufacturing IS coming back to the USA, but its jobs and skill sets are not like the old days (and never will be again). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera