The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2015 1:02 pm  #11

Re: GOP Presidential Field Continues to Grow

From my perspective, thus far the bozos that have tumbled out of the republican candidate clown car are just that . . . clowns. Their only platform is that Hillary is a lying, conniving, wife of Bill, and that everything Obama has done needs to be undone. Maybe after the money raising, appearances, debates, and primaries the field will be whittled down to a couple of candidates that actually have a plan instead of an agenda. Oh, and since Trump was brought up, my feeling is that he will drive the clown car as long as he can, but will never really get out of the car.

As for the democrats, I find it hard to believe that nobody will challenge Hillary. I hope a strong, serious candidate develops and runs a decent campaign. I would like to see a strong independent candidate mount a campaign that would resound with the general voting public (like Bernie), but I fear the electorate is not ready to vote for any candidate that falls outside of the political status quo.

We have quite a while to go with this campaign, and I'm sure candidates will come and go in the next year or so, but I (for one) am not that impressed with the current group in this two ring circus.

Last edited by Rongone (5/04/2015 2:08 pm)

5/04/2015 1:11 pm  #12

There was some GOP event recently which was attended by most of the announced and probable GOP candidates. They had a fine time trotting out their best Hillary zingers and sound bites for the faithful and the press.

But they know that all 20 of them can't be President. So, at some point they are going to have to focus on distinguishing themselves from each other. Then the real campaign starts.

Ridiculous question of the day: Which one runs best against Clinton?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2015 2:11 pm  #13

We could have some fun with all of this, but when the dust clears, I think we will have a Bush-Walker ticket.

5/04/2015 2:32 pm  #14

If Rubio should break thru he might give Clinton some difficulty.
In addition to the R vs D aspect, there would be  a generational aspect of a Rubio - Clinton contest.
Rubio is young, energetic, very pretty young family.
Hillary Clinton looks a bit careworn.
I know that the visuals aren't supposed to be important, but think Kennedy-Nixon 1960.

Rubio-Clinton would set up a youth v wisdom visual.
Don't know how that would turn out.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2015 2:49 pm  #15

I'm registered Republican for voting purposes so I can participate in the primaries, although I consider myself an independent, fiscal conservative, social liberal, and so far I have no idea which one of these candidates I would vote for, if any.  It's early yet, a whole lot of dirt is going to be thrown for sure.

5/04/2015 3:34 pm  #16

Goose wrote:

If Rubio should break thru he might give Clinton some difficulty.
In addition to the R vs D aspect, there would be  a generational aspect of a Rubio - Clinton contest.
Rubio is young, energetic, very pretty young family.
Hillary Clinton looks a bit careworn.
I know that the visuals aren't supposed to be important, but think Kennedy-Nixon 1960.

Rubio-Clinton would set up a youth v wisdom visual.
Don't know how that would turn out.

Maybe she can pull out the old Reagan quote on this. 

Ronald Reagan often took advantage of his eloquence and sense of humor in the presidential debates, delivering sharp-tongued barbs while maintaining a sly smile. Addressing the concern over his age (he was 73 when he was reelected in 1984), Reagan said:

"I want you to know also I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience." 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/04/2015 3:37 pm  #17

Just with the current crop of clowns, how about Rubio-Carson?

Are the republicans that desperate to capture the Hispanic/African-American vote? (clown)

Last edited by Rongone (5/04/2015 3:38 pm)

5/04/2015 3:50 pm  #18

Rongone wrote:

Just with the current crop of clowns, how about Rubio-Carson?

Are the republicans that desperate to capture the Hispanic/African-American vote? (clown)

To entertain that thought, I'd probably go with Bush/Carson.  Bush was/is pretty popular with the Hispanic community, well, in his own state at least.

As far as someone like Carson, I'm torn.  I disagree with him on many social issues, but he is an American success story, and he is a smart guy, no doubt.  He also is a political rookie, which, I guess can be looked at as either a blessing or a curse.

Right now, in the very early going, I'm predicting Bush will get the Republican nomination.  He's got an uphill climb if he wants people to disassociate him with his brother though.

5/04/2015 3:53 pm  #19

The Man wrote:

I'm registered Republican for voting purposes so I can participate in the primaries, although I consider myself an independent, fiscal conservative, social liberal, and so far I have no idea which one of these candidates I would vote for, if any. It's early yet, a whole lot of dirt is going to be thrown for sure.

It is extremely early yet, and I haven't heard much in the way of policy proposals from any of the GOP field, or Hillary Clinton for that matter. So, I guess I am undecided as well, which is what it should be at this stage. We voters should approach this with ears and eyes wide open.

I am going to approach this as a multiple issues voter, and resist any temptation to be a "scandal voter". (Hey, I just coined a term.) Meaning I won't base my vote on the tenth Benghazi hearing, I won't care if candidate X had a girlfriend on the side years ago, etc.

Now, the GOP is going to have a bit of a time getting my vote for two reasons. First I am very big on environmental issues. I believe that climate change is occurring. I need a candidate who acknowledges that and presents some sort of plan for living with it.
I am also socially liberal. Meaning I don't want to tell people what to do in their bedrooms or weddings. My wife and I would never have considered an abortion. But, I don't want to criminalize those who do. 

5/04/2015 4:00 pm  #20

Goose wrote:

The Man wrote:

I'm registered Republican for voting purposes so I can participate in the primaries, although I consider myself an independent, fiscal conservative, social liberal, and so far I have no idea which one of these candidates I would vote for, if any. It's early yet, a whole lot of dirt is going to be thrown for sure.

It is extremely early yet, and I haven't heard much in the way of policy proposals from any of the GOP field, or Hillary Clinton for that matter. So, I guess I am undecided as well, which is what it should be at this stage. We voters should approach this with ears and eyes wide open.

I am going to approach this as a multiple issues voter, and resist any temptation to be a "scandal voter". (Hey, I just coined a term.) Meaning I won't base my vote on the tenth Benghazi hearing, I won't care if candidate X had a girlfriend on the side years ago, etc.

Now, the GOP is going to have a bit of a time getting my vote for two reasons. First I am very big on environmental issues. I believe that climate change is occurring. I need a candidate who acknowledges that and presents some sort of plan for living with it.
I am also socially liberal. Meaning I don't want to tell people what to do in their bedrooms or weddings. My wife and I would never have considered an abortion. But, I don't want to criminalize those who do. 

I agree with this almost 100%.  The social issues are where a lot of otherwise good Republican candidates lose me.  If people who are gay want to marry, they should be allowed to, IMO, if someone wants an abortion, I'm behind them, that's their choice.  As for climate change, hell yeah it exists, and it's a problem.  At the very least, if the candidates don't agree with those issues, they shouldn't be so polarizing and opposed to them.  They could approach them with an open mind.

Board footera