The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2015 7:59 am  #1

What's going on here ?????

Yesterday Lager posted a topic "Some Thoughts on Last Week" 

Goose made a response 

Topic was closed 

This morning topic was not there at all for awhile

Later this morning the topic is back, Goose's post is changed but not noted as edited

Topic is still closed. 

We have some major problems here. 

Last edited by tennyson (5/04/2015 8:01 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/04/2015 8:10 am  #2

Re: What's going on here ?????

YES we do have MAJOR Problems!

Please flip the switch Lager! Someone does not have self control!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/04/2015 8:13 am  #3

Actually, Lager and I have been in communication, and we are cool with each other.

No need to shout, CS.

He told me that he intends to make a statement later today, if possible.
Be patient. We aren't professional staff, and have other things to do.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2015 8:14 am  #4

Works ok for me now.

5/04/2015 8:36 am  #5

Just want to re-state that I agree with Lager's earlier statement in regards to this whole thing that LESS MODERATING is the BEST MODERATING. I am sure that there have been over the top posts as some people (myself included) have strong feelings about certain topics. Just as in the case of Baltimore where people urged for restraint, so should it be here. 

I almost left the last EXCHANGE because of the constand pissing contests. Easiest way to not have one is say your thing and move on. 

BTW, and this is just MY personal bug, I totally disagree with person x EVER changing person's Y post no matter for what reason (good or bad). I wish the Exchange did not even allow for that. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/04/2015 9:41 am  #6

I think that we all agree on those points, Tennyson.
But there is an inherent problem.
You mention the old exchange. That site was really unmoderated.
And we saw the problems involved when people did not say their piece and move on. We saw the problem when people did not exercise restraint.

I think that self disciline is the first rule in maintaining decorum on an internet board.
However, in my opinion, you have to have a moderator willing to step in when people don't act appropriately. Sometimes a gentle reminder is called for by a moderator. Sometimes a thread should be closed when all else fails, and even content removed.

Imagine how mmuch better the old exchange had been if Darkstar's racist or sexually crude comments had been removed, or he banned.

So, I guess I come down on the side of more active moderation than most. Let's work together and figure this thing out.
"I'm listening"

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2015 10:02 am  #7

Goose wrote:

And we saw the problems involved when people did not say their piece and move on. We saw the problem when people did not exercise restraint.

I think that self disciline is the first rule in maintaining decorum on an internet board.
However, in my opinion, you have to have a moderator willing to step in when people don't act appropriately. Sometimes a gentle reminder is called for by a moderator. Sometimes a thread should be closed when all else fails, and even content removed.

Imagine how mmuch better the old exchange had been if Darkstar's racist or sexually crude comments had been removed, or he banned.

So, I guess I come down on the side of more active moderation than most. Let's work together and figure this thing out.
"I'm listening"

I more tend to agree with Lager's initial statement that the best moderation is where there is the least moderation. 

5/04/2015 10:14 am  #8

tennyson wrote:

Goose wrote:

"I'm listening"

I more tend to agree with Lager's initial statement that the best moderation is where there is the least moderation. 

I agree with you tennyson!  Less is better!!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/04/2015 10:27 am  #9

Common Sense wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Goose wrote:

"I'm listening"

I agree with you tennyson!  Less is better!!

To me it has to be pretty aggegrious before warranting deletion. 

What seemed to happen in the past (the old Exchange was the best example) is that even when the posts were totally over the top, instead of ignoring it or just giving your reply , it wound up in a back and forth pissing contest that was even worse. At that point it was a battle of personalities which is useless and childish at its core. 

5/04/2015 4:59 pm  #10

I seem to still have a 'post' option on closed threads.

If I've put something somewhere it doesn't belong, sorry.  I'll try to look more closely before posting.

If people have been complaining about me I haven't been hearing about it.  If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

I've been checking the abuse reports daily, generally they've been cleared within minutes of being posted so I haven't been much help there.  I can check in more oftern if you'd like.

As far as editing posts goes, I wouldn't do this at all.  If you're changing someone else's words, it's now your post.  It definetly should not be posted under someone else's name.

I stated before, if someone becomes abusive, a warning should suffice.  I would rely on the poster to edit their own post.  If the behavior continues, then I would consider removing the post.

I feel that hovering over everyone and analyzing the crap out of what they post to determine if it's appropriate would suck the life right out of the board.

I don't want anyone to feel that they can't message me for any reason.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know because I apparently don't.  

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera