The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2015 3:13 pm  #1

What's In A Name

Okay.  Since this is an all new Exchange and we're hoping to get some new people I thought I'd repost this topic from the way-back.

So what's the story behind your screen name and your avatar?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/09/2015 6:14 pm  #2

Re: What's In A Name

I joined the old Exchange in 2007.

The name Conspiracy Theory was kind of a joke.  I work for the state providing social services; food stamps, medical assistance, energy assistance...that kind of thing.

Needless to say, in a bloated bureaucracy there is always someone validating their own existence by making changes to policy.

I'm a bit of an office clown.  (an understatement along the lines of 'The OK Corral was a difference of opinion')

In order to lighten the mood, whenever another policy change came along, I would invent a giant conspiracy theory to explain it...something like a planned invasion by the Mole People.  

So folks would laugh.  And when I signed up for The Exchange, Conspiracy Theory just came to mind.

The avatar was kind of a serendipity event.  I was setting up my profile and clicked to see what kind of avatars were available I found the Dark Jester.  It was all alone there and said "By Jen S".

I have no idea who Jen is or why she posted that drawing but I've used the same avatar for the past eight years.  For me, it's become kind of iconic.

So, that's me.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you folks.

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (2/09/2015 6:16 pm)

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

2/09/2015 10:44 pm  #3

At the time that I joined the old/original Exchange I was at kind of a low point, having been kicked to the curb by some folks with whom I'd worked for over two decades.  They weren't content to kick me to the curb, they also attempted (unsuccesfully) to trash my credentials locally, regionally, and nationally.

So "Tarnation" was a contraction of "tarnished reputation".

Life is an Orthros.

2/10/2015 5:46 am  #4

Mine was kinda of on a wim.
In the early days, I hovered over my work and students so much that they called me Mother Goose.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/10/2015 8:00 am  #5

It was 2002 and I started hanging out at a message board, one very similar to this, called The Rhombus. The board's main focus was on the band Phish, but it also had a wide range of topics for discussion and it was a really fun place to post. 

I was always a horrible namer of things and I didn't know what to make my handle. When I was signing up for the board, I had a bottle of Yeungling Lager in front of me, so I just ran with that and the "Lager Lad" was born. I have always kind of liked it as an anonymous moniker so I've kept it.

My avatars have changed over the years. I tend to get bored with them for after a while. 

The current avatar is Jack Doneghy, who was Alec Baldwin's character on the old NBC sitcom "30 Rock"

In the avatar, he's pouring the never ending glass of Johnny Walker Black, which admittedly, although not frequently, I've done myself after a long day at the office.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/10/2015 8:28 am  #6

Ever since my college years I've had a wanderlust. Always looking for somewhere to go. Believing in the adage that "it's the journey, not the destination". After college, I went into the U.S. Navy for 6 years. The best thing I got out of those 6 years was experiencing people and more far reaching places. When I got back to the world and had to find a job, I searched for a position that would provide international exposure. I was lucky enough to find a position that afforded me that type of work life. Among friends and family the question was always asked "where has Ron gone?" When they were small, my kids would say "Ron gone". We had the opportunity to live and work in foreign countries as a family, and my wife and I continued doing so when our kids were in college. When we lived in the Caribbean I made it a goal to learn how to sail. While we don't own a sailboat any more, we have bareboat chartered in several locations. I really enjoy it. I have threatened to sell everything and buy a nice boat and live on board full time . . . to my wife's chagrin.

2/10/2015 10:18 am  #7

Interesting, thanks guys 

-Me again

2/10/2015 1:10 pm  #8

One doesn't live anywhere in Virginia (or further south) for most of a life without falling completely in love with azaleas.  I started growing them at my parents' home in Arlington after my family moved there in the late 50s and have been at it ever since.  Here in northern York County it is very possibel to grow and keep alive azaleas but it took me a few dead bushes to understand they do not like the cold winds.  Any new azalea plants are planted in protected areas and are doing beautifully.  Come May my yard is ablaze with color followed by the lilies through out the summer.  Call me azalea or flower lady--both work.

2/10/2015 5:35 pm  #9

My handle, 'Just Fred', has no other meaning other than that's who I am, just 'Fred'.  Actually, this radio talk show guy, Gary Sutton, gave me that name because I refused to be identified with a political tribe.

The avatar has to do with with my admiration with maybe the greatest artistic draftsman of all-time, Albrecht Durer.  It's his self-portrait,

The 'Duke of Cortona' relates to the fact I am a tour guide in Florence, Italy, and I used to teach art and art history.  The Italian Renaissance was (and is) my favorite time-period.  Cortona is a small town in Tuscany just a bit east of Florence.  If you ever watched the movie or read the book, "Under the Tuscan Sun" then you would understand my love for this part of the world.

2/10/2015 7:10 pm  #10

Just Fred wrote:

My handle, 'Just Fred', has no other meaning other than that's who I am, just 'Fred'.  Actually, this radio talk show guy, Gary Sutton, gave me that name because I refused to be identified with a political tribe.

The avatar has to do with with my admiration with maybe the greatest artistic draftsman of all-time, Albrecht Durer.  It's his self-portrait,

The 'Duke of Cortona' relates to the fact I am a tour guide in Florence, Italy, and I used to teach art and art history.  The Italian Renaissance was (and is) my favorite time-period.  Cortona is a small town in Tuscany just a bit east of Florence.  If you ever watched the movie or read the book, "Under the Tuscan Sun" then you would understand my love for this part of the world.

I had a wonderful dinner in a restauraunt overlooking the clock in Cortona.
What a wonderful town.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera