The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2015 2:32 pm  #1

Another brutal week on tap for our representatives

These people in DC work so hard for our benefit,
Maybe they deserve a raise,
Or some more time off.

News from Representative Scott Perry

April 29, 2015
As part of a larger effort to improve government transparency and keep the constituents of Pennsylvania's 4th Congressional District informed of current legislative business, I send out weekly updates at the beginning of each Session week. These updates are a brief overview of legislative matters to be addressed each week. Please click on my photo below to listen to the audio clip.

As always, if you have questions or concerns on any issue or need help with a federal agency, please contact our offices anytime.

H.R. 1075 - To designate the United States Customs and Border Protection Port of Entry located at First Street and Pan American Avenue in Douglas, Arizona, as the “Raul Hector Castro Port of Entry” (Sponsored by Rep. Raul Grijalva / Ways and Means Committee)

H.R. 651 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 820 Elmwood Avenue in Providence, Rhode Island, as the “Sister Ann Keefe Post Office” (Sponsored by Rep. David Cicilline / Oversight and Government Reform Committee)

H.R. 1690 - To designate the United States courthouse located at 700 Grant Street in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as the “Joseph F. Weis Jr. United States Courthouse” (Sponsored by Rep. Mike Doyle / Transportation and Infrastructure Committee)

H.R. 172 - To designate the United States courthouse located at 501 East Court Street in Jackson, Mississippi, as the “R. Jess Brown United States Courthouse” (Sponsored by Rep. Bennie Thompson / Transportation and Infrastructure Committee)

H.R. 373 - Good Samaritan Search and Recovery Act (Sponsored by Rep. Joe Heck / Natural Resources Committee)

H.R. 984 - To amend the National Trails System Act to direct the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study on the feasibility of designating the Chief Standing Bear National Historic Trail, and for other purposes (Sponsored by Rep. Jeff Fortenberry / Natural Resources Committee)

H.R. 1324 - Arapaho National Forest Boundary Adjustment Act of 2015 (Sponsored by Rep. Jared Polis / Natural Resources Committee)

H.R. 2029 - Military Construction and Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016 (Sponsored by Rep. Charlie Dent / Appropriations Committee)

H.R. 2028 - Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016 (Sponsored by Rep. Mike Simpson / Appropriations Committee)

Possible Consideration of the Conference Report to S. Con. Res. 11 - FY2016 Budget (Sponsored by Rep. Tom Price / Budget Committee)

Possible Consideration of H.R. 1732 - Regulatory Integrity Protection Act of 2015, Rules Committee Print (Sponsored by Rep. Bill Shuster / Transportation and Infrastructure Committee)

Sincerely,

Scott Perry   

Nah . . . Maybe they should be considered part timers and paid as temps.

4/29/2015 3:32 pm  #2

Re: Another brutal week on tap for our representatives

I think it’s good for him to send an update every week.
Interesting to see what is going on in Washington.
I really don’t think you will ever be happy with what he sends out because of the big
difference in your politics compared to his? Right?

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/29/2015 3:50 pm  #3

You know, common, I feel the same way when some people start going off on Obama.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/29/2015 9:38 pm  #4

I think the reps on both sides of the aisle do this. Since there is such lack of an bipartisanship nowadays they have to do these sort of "feel good" items so the voting public feels that they are actually doing somehing. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/30/2015 6:14 am  #5

Hey, hey, hey ............... this is big.  I was wondering when they would get around to this:

H.R. 1075 - To designate the United States Customs and Border Protection Port of Entry located at First Street and Pan American Avenue in Douglas, Arizona, as the “Raul Hector Castro Port of Entry” (Sponsored by Rep. Raul Grijalva / Ways and Means Committee)

4/30/2015 7:01 am  #6

Common Sense wrote:

I think it’s good for him to send an update every week.
Interesting to see what is going on in Washington.
I really don’t think you will ever be happy with what he sends out because of the big
difference in your politics compared to his? Right?

It doesn't matter to me on which side of the aisle the sender stands.
I guess I have a problem with a bunch of self engrandizing do-nothing employees telling their employers what they are going to work on this week. Especially when the agenda is basically a bunch of nonsensical tasks--like naming buildings and parcels of land. My immediate question to them is, "what are you going to do after 10:00 a.m. Monday morning?" and "When are you going to accomplish something worthwhile and important to the country?"

I would like to see an agenda that contains issues like:
Reform and simplify the tax code
Reform the VA system
Re-evaluate the influence of lobbying and special interest groups on the political system
Revisit the Citizens United decision
Providing an affordable and viable education for our young citizens
Regulate the amount of money spent on campaign financing

I'm certain the people who elected these people can come up with more relevant issues than naming a post office in Podunk, Iowa.

What would you prefer they spend their limited time working on?

Board footera