The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2015 10:30 am  #1

Chipotle to Stop Serving Genetically Altered Food

I love Chipotle! Good fresh Mexican food!

Chipotle to Stop Serving Genetically Altered Food

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/27/business/chipotle-to-stop-serving-genetically-altered-food.html?_r=1

In a first for a major restaurant chain, Chipotle Mexican Grill on Monday will begin preparing only food that is free of genetically engineered ingredients.“This is another step toward the visions we have of changing the way people think about and eat fast food,” said Steve Ells, founder and co-chief executive of Chipotle. “Just because food is served fast doesn’t mean it has to be made with cheap raw ingredients, highly processed with preservatives and fillers and stabilizers and artificial colors and flavors.”

Last edited by Common Sense (4/28/2015 10:30 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/28/2015 11:22 am  #2

Re: Chipotle to Stop Serving Genetically Altered Food

I will let others haggle over the good or bad of GMO foods. 

That said, it will be interesting to see how this change resonates with the consumer (ie- if it makes a change in sales or not). 

The year to year sales for Chipolte has been somewhat of a rocky road recently. 

It IS nice to see companies making a commitment to non-GMO especially for those who are intersted in understanding that factor and choice in their food. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/28/2015 12:14 pm  #3

It's probably not a bad strategy if you aremarketing to a more upscale crowd.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/28/2015 3:13 pm  #4

BTW, I have some concerns about GMOs.

What do others think?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/28/2015 3:32 pm  #5

One issue that concerns me about GMO as food crops is that many of the have been engineered to be resistant to herbicides. That means that herbicides have been sprayed either on or near them, and are thus introduced into the food supply. Now the crop might be genetically modified such that herbicides won't hurt them, but you and I have not!

4/28/2015 3:32 pm  #6

Goose wrote:

What do others think?

I really have formed no opinion thus far. 

I DO believe that all foods shold be labeled as to being GMO or not so consumers can esaily make a choice if they so desire. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/28/2015 3:41 pm  #7

tennyson wrote:

Goose wrote:

What do others think?

I really have formed no opinion thus far. 

I DO believe that all foods shold be labeled as to being GMO or not so consumers can esaily make a choice if they so desire. 

I agree completely. Give the consumer information, and let him choose what to purchase.

Board footera