The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2019 5:36 am  #1

2016 = Anger. Will 2020 = Exhaustion?

I posted some comments on a site the other day that were critical of President Trump. The response was utterly predictable. Something along the lines of "Boy, Trump gets under your skin, that's what he was elected to do. MAGA! Hah ha" etc.
This got me to thinking. Yea, there were many reasons why Trump was elected in 2016.
However, one consistent theme was evident, and it was anger.
Trump was elected because he promised to stick his finger in the eyes of people that the Trumpers hate. Environmentalists with their pesky regulations, Gay people, liberals, intellectuals, brown people, black people, etc.

Trump said outrageous things. And whether those things were factually correct was not important. It was only important that what he said angered the folks they hate.

Fast forward to 2020. Is anger again the fuel that will power the ship? Should democrats just try to out-do Trump in that area?
I don't think so. Both Biden, and Mayor Pete are instead using the language of unity, and hope. And they are dominating the polls at this point.

People crave an optimistic message. And, they may be getting tired of the s-show that is Trump, talk radio, and Fox. 
They might just be getting exhausted with the insults, the tweet storms, the crudeness.
Trump is exhausting. That may be his undoing.

Last edited by Goose (5/20/2019 5:37 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/20/2019 6:11 am  #2

Re: 2016 = Anger. Will 2020 = Exhaustion?

I agree.  I posted the same feeling on the 'politics' thread.  Trump is trying to run a nation as if it were some kind of reality tv show ................ like all tv reality shows, they get old, predictable, and boring after a while.

5/20/2019 7:26 am  #3

Trump is betting on anger. His rallies still feature Hillary Clinton, and chants of 'Lock her up', fantasies about the deep state, etc..
It's very backward looking. Feels very 2016.

Looks like Biden, on the other had, is basing his run on a return to 'normalcy'.

We will see where it goes.
I see it resonating more than specific policy proposals on the stump. But, just my opinion.

Last edited by Goose (5/20/2019 7:29 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/20/2019 8:10 pm  #4

This next Presidential election will TRULY be a defining moment for our Republic. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera