The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2019 3:32 pm  #1

Democracy Is Doomed If:

1. Money continues to play a bigger and bigger part in our politics ...... the Citizens United decision was a HUGE mistake

2.  The Electoral System continues to control national elections ...... two of our last three presidential winners did not get the popular vote

3.  The senatorial legislative branch continues to represent states, not people ...... 50% of USA citizens live in 9 states and they represent a vast minority in a senate of 100 participants.  That means 9 states have 18 senators while the other 50% have 82.

I invite your comments.

5/08/2019 3:37 pm  #2

Re: Democracy Is Doomed If:

Don't see how you would remove money from politics today? Not with the current Supreme court ruling.

The electoral college has work for 200 + years. No need to change it.

2 Senators per state works... If New York or California each had say 10 senators that would not be fair to the smaller states. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/09/2019 5:00 am  #3

The electoral college has work(ed) for 200 + years?
Well, it elects presidents every four years. Of course, sometimes not the one who won the most votes. That might not fit everyone's definition of working.

I guess it depends on what you want your government to be, representative of The People, or 'fair' to smaller states.

Last edited by Goose (5/09/2019 5:03 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/09/2019 6:07 am  #4

Common:

1.  Supreme Court decisions are made and later amended.  It's happened many times throughout our history proving none are necessarily cast in stone.  I'm surprised you weren't aware of that.

2.  The electoral system is antiquated.  One reason it was instituted in the first place was to preserve slavery in the slave states.  The need for it is long gone.

3.  You have to decide whether a senatorial system should represent chunks of real estate or human beings.  Once again, I believe the system we have now is antiquated.

5/09/2019 6:13 am  #5

Language is an interesting thing. Consider that a system that grants more representation in government to a state than its population would justify is defined by some as “fair”.

The founders did not grant two senators to each state because they felt that it was fair in some ethical way. They did it because it was the price that they had to pay to get some states to join the union.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera