The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2015 9:17 am  #1

Japan's maglev train breaks new world speed record

That would be a very quick trip between New York and Washington!

Japan's maglev train breaks new world speed record
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/japans-maglev-train-notches-world-speed-record-060402921.html

Tokyo (AFP) - Japan's state-of-the-art maglev train clocked a new world speed record Tuesday in a test run near Mount Fuji, smashing through the 600 kilometre (373 miles) per hour mark, as Tokyo races to sell the technology abroad.The seven-car maglev train -- short for "magnetic levitation" -- hit a top speed of 603 kilometres an hour, and managed nearly 11 seconds at over 600kph, operator Central Japan Railway said.The new record came less than a week after the company recorded a top speed of 590 kph, breaking its own 2003 record of 581 kph.The maglev hovers 10 centimetres (four inches) above the tracks and is propelled by electrically charged magnets.

Last edited by Common Sense (4/21/2015 9:18 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/21/2015 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Japan's maglev train breaks new world speed record

Holy crap!

4/21/2015 3:42 pm  #3

I can't even imagine a train moving that fast.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/21/2015 3:51 pm  #4

I rode on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka at 150 mph, but this new one is twice as fast. Must be one heck of a ride.

Never could figure out why the U.S. doesn't take passenger rail travel more seriously.

4/21/2015 10:15 pm  #5

Harrisburg to Chicago in 2 hours---when can I buy a ticket?

Life is an Orthros.

4/22/2015 8:54 am  #6

Can someone tell us why we can't do that here? We did start the whole railway expansion in U.S. long before any other country.

4/22/2015 9:09 am  #7

The U. S. is into road building so taxpayers can keep paying for repairs, upgrades and new roads.  I'd fight to  be the first in line for a ticket if trains were readily available and they went where I wanted to go.

4/22/2015 12:55 pm  #8

Can someone tell us why we can't do that here? We did start the whole railway expansion in U.S. long before any other country.  -  Trader

Probably because we have established a culture since Henry Ford that allows us the convenience to go where we want to go when we want to go there.  The morphing to the suburban living and lifestyle after WWII  probably has something to do with it, too.  We experienced an economic boom among the working and middleclass that made cars and the fuel to operate them accessible to almost everyone.

It probably has more to do with the evolution of the American lifestyle and culture than anything else.  There might be a stigma (except among big city dwellers) attached to using public transportation, too.

Most likely a combination of many socio-economic, cultural, and societal factors that other countries like Japan haven't experienced.

Board footera