The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2019 4:35 pm  #1

Sen Booker is Out of Line

With all due respect to the Senator, Rao is perfectly within her rights to believe that same sex is sinful. I don't believe that it is sinful, but that is not the point. Rao can believe that it's sinful so long as she agrees to follow the law. We should NOT regulate thought!

If Rao abides the wise words of Thomas Jefferson, she can believe what she wants.
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as they are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg".

To paraphrase,
It does me no injury whether my neighbor marries a man. Therefore, while I am free to disapprove of it, the government has no legitimate interest in preventing it.

Sen. Booker quizzes judicial nominee on 'sin' and same-sex marriage

Washington D.C., Feb 5, 2019 / 02:15 pm (CNA).- Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) used a confirmation hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee to question a judicial nominee about her views on the “sinfulness” of same-sex marriage.

Booker, who recently announced his campaign for the Democratic nomination for president in 2020, put the questions to Neomi Rao during a Feb. 5 hearing.

Roa has been nominated by President Trump to replace Justice Brett Kavanaugh on the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Citing the Supreme Court decision in Lawrence v. Texas, which struck down state laws prohibiting homosexual intercourse, Booker quoted an article in which Rao said the decision “eschewed older traditions in favor of an emerging awareness of the meaning and the scope of liberty.”

The senator asked what Rao’s views were on how the Supreme Court should have decided past cases related to the criminalization of same-sex relationships.

After she affirmed the precedent set by the court’s decisions, Booker then asked Rao “Are gay relationships, in your opinion, immoral?”

Rao questioned the relevance of the question, given her commitment to following the clear precedent of the law. Booker replied that the personal opinion of the nominee was important and that to believe gay relationships were immoral would be similar to believing “African-American relationships are immoral.”

After affirming that she did not think that gay relationships are immoral, Booker pressed Rao, asking if she believed they are “a sin.” Rao replied that her “personal views on any of these subjects are things (she) would put to one side” and that she would follow precedent when making rulings.

“So you’re not willing to say here if you believe it is sinful for two men to be married?” Booker asked.

Rao again stated that she intended to follow all Supreme Court precedent when it came to making decisions on the Court of Appeals, and that she would put any of her personal views “to one side.” She declined to comment on whether she believes gay marriage to be sinful.

Last edited by Goose (2/05/2019 4:37 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/06/2019 2:32 pm  #2

Re: Sen Booker is Out of Line

Jefferson was correct. 

IF everyone looked into everyones bedrooms and personal habits , what a mess we would have ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera