The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2019 4:38 pm  #1

Virginia Governor In a Mess

A day after apologizing for pictures on HIS yearbook page that depict someone in blackface and another dressed as a klansman, Northam says that neither of the men on his yearbook page were him.

Northam then hastened to add that he did once wear blackface in a Michael Jackson dance contest in 1984.
He then refused to resign.

Dead man (Moon)walking.  

Please. Stop. Talking. Now.

Northam denies being in racist photo but recalls darkening his skin in Michael Jackson dance contest in 1984

Richmond, Virginia (CNN)Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam said he does not believe he is either person in the racist photo that appeared in his 1984 yearbook but that he did once darken his face to resemble Michael Jackson during a dance contest in 1984.

In a remarkable, hour-long news conference at the Governor's Mansion in Richmond, Northam defended himself from the cacophony of calls for his resignation, but acknowledged that he had made mistakes on race in his past, like when, in a separate incident, he darkened his face to resemble Michael Jackson in 1984 during a dance contest in San Antonio.

"I believe now and then that I am not either of the people in this photo," Northam said, denying that he had ever worn a KKK robe and hood or been drunk enough to forget a moment like this. "This was not me in that picture. That was not Ralph Northam."

The racist photograph, which was obtained by CNN, appears in the 1984 Eastern Virginia Medical School yearbook shows one person dressed in blackface and another in the KKK's signature white hood and robes.
Despite numerous calls for him to resign, Northam said he would try to win over those who want him out.
Northam, in one of the most bizarre moments in an otherwise extraordinary press conference, vividly recalled the dance contest where he dressed as Jackson, the legendary pop icon.

"I had the shoes, I had a glove, and I used just a little bit of shoe polish to put under my -- or on my -- cheeks," he said. "And the reason I used a very little bit is because, I don't know if anybody's ever tried that, but you cannot get shoe polish off."

He added: "I look back now and regret that I did not understand the harmful legacy of an action like that."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/02/politics/northam-racist-yearbook-photo/index.html

Last edited by Goose (2/02/2019 4:40 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/02/2019 5:55 pm  #2

Re: Virginia Governor In a Mess

Pretty much he is "toast". 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera