The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2019 6:08 am  #1

Shultz's Disappointing Start

Hey, if a candidate wants to argue that Medicare for all is NOT the solution, fine. Put forth an argument, it's unaffordable, it will yield poor outcomes, whatever. Put out a plan and let The People examine it.
Let's have a discussion.

But wrapping yourself in the flag and smearing people with the suggestion that their idea is 'not American', 'UnAmerican' or some other loaded term is not appropriate. It is a smear. It is cheap shot  that attempts to prevent discussion.
Do better.

Howard Schultz Rips Kamala Harris for Backing Medicare for All: 'That's Not American'

Host Norah O’Donnell challenged previous comments that Schultz made on 60 Minutes in which Schultz ostensibly compared Democrat’s proposal for universal health care to a border wall. 

Schultz recalled a clip previously aired of Senator Harris supporting Medicare for all by saying “she wants to abolish the insurance industry.” 

“That’s not correct. That’s not American,” Schultz claimed, adding “What’s next? What industry are we going to abolish next? The coffee industry?” 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/01/30/howard-schultz-medicare-for-all-harlow-sot-ebof-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

Last edited by Goose (1/30/2019 6:09 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/30/2019 9:24 am  #2

Re: Shultz's Disappointing Start

I agree. 

Shultz on the times I heard him, I thought he was articulate and had some good ideas, BUT this retort was not a good one. IF that is how he plans to blow off ideas, he is just one more politician (albeit at a higher level than many). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/30/2019 12:26 pm  #3

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm done with hiring multi-millionaire business tycoons with little or no public service experience to run a nation.  That's like saying, "I'm going to hire this great dentist to fix my car."

1/30/2019 7:23 pm  #4

I dunno, Fred. I've been watching billionaires talk about about public policy for 50+ years, and they have some great ides, like trickle down.
You know, the best way to help working class people is to give tax breaks to rich people. 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera