The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2018 10:13 am  #1

A 'Monumental' Assault on Science

A devastating report details a 'monumental' assault on science at the Department of the Interior

Among the up-is-down, night-is-day practices of the Trump administration, one of the most dangerous and disturbing is its habit of turning America’s leading science agencies into hives of anti-science policymaking.

A new report lays out how this has produced a “monumental disaster” for science at the Department of the Interior. The report by the Union of Concerned Scientists details how Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and his minions have in the space of two years turned Interior from a steward of public lands and natural resources into a front for the mining and oil and gas industries.

“The intent in rolling back the consideration of science in decision-making is always to progress the development of fossil fuel interests,” Jacob Carter of the union’s center for science and democracy and lead author of the report told me.

This results in cascading negative effects on the agency’s mission. “Under Zinke’s watch, we see a lot of federal lands being opened for sale, which means a lot of endangered species will no longer be protected, and which has damaging consequences for climate,” Carter says.

Just last week, Zinke appeared before the National Petroleum Council, a government advisory panel plump with fossil fuel executives. There he crowed about how President Trump had made the U.S. “the No. 1 producer of oil and gas in the world.” That should show where his heart is.

Interior isn’t the only science agency that has been turned into a billboard for political and ideological propaganda. The Environmental Protection Agency has been similarly hollowed out, and the Department of Health and Human Services has all but abandoned its duty to advance Americans’ access to affordable healthcare.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-interior-science-20181210-story.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/11/2018 12:26 pm  #2

Re: A 'Monumental' Assault on Science

I became aware of this about two weeks ago. I immediately went on the Dept. Of Interior’s website and wrote to Zinke to raise my concerns about these actions. I also wrote to both of my senators and congressman to voice my concerns.

It only takes a couple of minutes to do this. If you want to change the way things are going, you’ve got to get involved. We get the government we deserve.

12/15/2018 11:06 am  #3

Good riddance to Zinke who was merely a puppet for big oil to the detriment of the very basic responsibilities of the Dept. Of the Interior.Plus his wild irresponsible spending of taxpayer money for personal expenses.

https://news.yahoo.com/ryan-zinke-interior-department-secretary-142800511.html

12/15/2018 6:14 pm  #4

Zinke is gone (GOOD RIDDANCE) but Trump will more than likely only replace him with someone equally vile and incompetent. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

12/16/2018 8:52 am  #5

From my perspective, Zinke should also turn in his trident because of the disrespect he has shown toward the code by recklessly spending taxpayer money, working to ruin rather than protect the environment (his responsibility), and disregard for the team through overriding selfish behavior.

Just my opinion, but based upon the personality traits he has demonstrated, I doubt that he has guts to ring the bell and admit that he doesn’t have the strength to uphold those values.

Board footera