The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2018 6:19 am  #1

Will "The Greatest Hits" Work Again?

Like an aging rocker, Trump pulls out the 'greatest hits'.

President Trump holds rally in Florida
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-rally-florida-july-2018/h_571a71c7f7ab55f657ebe587d5717c94

"Fake news" was there.
"Build the Wall" was played.

Trump even repeated the incredible claim that, because of him, people are permitted to say 'Merry Christmas' again.
The crowd cheered, rejoicing in their ignorance.

Will it keep The Base enthralled, or is the act a little old?

Last edited by Goose (8/01/2018 6:19 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/01/2018 8:31 am  #2

Re: Will "The Greatest Hits" Work Again?

Authoritarian followers bought into the hype, that's why they are followers, not leaders.  Authoritarian followers are the greatest danger to maintaining a democracy.  Wannabe authoritarian leaders are always going to be out there, but without followers they fade away.

8/01/2018 1:48 pm  #3

Just Fred wrote:

Authoritarian followers bought into the hype, that's why they are followers, not leaders.  Authoritarian followers are the greatest danger to maintaining a democracy.  Wannabe authoritarian leaders are always going to be out there, but without followers they fade away.

That's an interesting observation, Fred. And one that I tend to agree with. There have always been such individuals out there. And, as I watch Trump at his rallies, my real rage is not with him as much as it is with the people in that audience hooting and hollering, egged on by every lie. They don't even want to know the truth. The Trumpkins have because of their anger, bigotry, whatever failed in their duty in basic citizenship. They refuse to hold their guy accountable to truth. They act more like the servile minions of an absolute dictator than they do free citizens of a republic. Disgusting.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/01/2018 2:13 pm  #4

Right.  Take the example of Trump saying because of him, it's ok to say "Merry Christmas" again.  He got cheers and applause as if before him, people were arrested for saying "Merry Christmas"?  It's the authoritarian followers that scare me the most because they can vote.

Authoritarians and despots can paint themselves as members of any political party, but it's up to the party they say represent to call them out.

Board footera