The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2015 7:13 am  #1

Relief for the Wealthy

Finally ! ! !
This extremely small minority of the American population who has been suffering through hard economic times, finally gets a break from paying an inordinate amount of taxes thanks to DC legislators.

Could it have something to do with contributions to elected officials paying for their next campaign?

GOP passes massive tax break for millionaires, billionaires

04/16/15 04:41 PM—UPDATED 04/16/15 06:59 PM

By Steve Benen
In recent months, high-profile Republicans, sounding quite a bit like class warriors, have complained bitterly about the wealthy benefiting most from the recent economic recovery. Even House Ways & Means Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), without a hint of irony, complained that recent trends point to “exacerbated inequality.” The far-right congressman added that only “the wealthy are doing really well.”

It’s genuinely impossible to reconcile Republican rhetoric and Republican priorities in light of votes like these.
The House voted Thursday to repeal the estate tax, a longtime priority of Republicans that also spurred Democratic charges that the GOP is in the pockets of the rich. […]

The White House has threatened to veto the measure, and the bill does not appear to have the 60 votes necessary to break a Democratic filibuster and get through the Senate.
The final tally was 240 to 179, with nearly every GOP lawmaker voting for it and nearly every Democrat voting against it.

When describing Republican tax proposals, it’s not uncommon to talk about policies that disproportionately benefit the very wealthy. GOP proponents will say a bill benefits all taxpayers, but they’ll brush past the fact that the rich benefit most. This, however, is altogether different – today’s bill, called the “Death Tax Repeal Act,” quite literally benefits multi-millionaires and billionaires exclusively.

It’s not an exaggeration to say House Republicans, en masse, voted for a $269 billion giveaway to the top 0.2%. Under the plan, GOP lawmakers, who occasionally pretend to care about “fiscal responsibility,” would simply add the entire $269 billion cost to the deficit, leaving future generations to pay for a massive tax break for the hyper-wealthy.

Wait, it gets worse.

Asked about the bill this week, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) told reporters, “[The] estate tax’s repeal is long overdue. Remember, all of this money that families have saved has all been taxed, much of it multiple times. And then if you die, we’re going to tax you again. I think it’s totally unfair.”

Regrettably, the Speaker isn’t just trying to give the hyper-wealthy a $269 billion tax break for no reason, he’s also confused about the basics of the policy he’s championing.

Even by contemporary GOP standards, today’s vote is pretty obscene. At a time of rising economic inequality, House Republicans have prioritized a bill to make economic inequality worse on purpose. At a time in which much of Congress wants to make the deficit smaller, House Republicans have prioritized a bill to make the deficit much larger.

At a time when prosperity is concentrated too heavily at the very top, House Republicans have prioritized a bill to deliver enormous benefits to multi-millionaires and billionaires – and no one else.

Asked to defend this, Republican leaders – the same leaders who balk at all requests for public investment, saying the nation is too “broke” to fund domestic priorities – say it’s only “fair” to approve a $269 billion giveaway to the hyper-wealthy.

It’s like Lewis Carroll and Charles Dickens got together to write a novel, and Congress’ majority wants Americans to live in it.

Dana Milbank added this week:
Never in the history of plutocracy has so much been given away to so few who need it so little.

This is the ultimate perversion of the tea party movement, which began as a populist revolt in 2009 but has since been hijacked by wealthy and corporate interests. The estate tax has been part of American law in some form since 1797, according to the advocacy group Americans for Tax Fairness, a shield against the sort of permanent aristocracy our founders fought to rid themselves of.

It had long been a conservative ideal, and the essence of the American Dream, to believe that everybody should have an equal shot at success. But in their current bid to end the estate tax, Republicans could create a permanent elite of trust-fund babies.
The House bill now moves to the Senate, where the Republican majority is eager to support it.

4/17/2015 8:33 am  #2

Re: Relief for the Wealthy

I would ask Mr. Benen one thing:

Is it really a "giveaway" when the government let's you keep some money that was already yours?

I see some merits in an estate tax, and have some problems with it as well.
But, a "giveaway"?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/17/2015 9:10 am  #3

Even by contemporary GOP standards, today’s vote is pretty obscene. At a time of rising economic inequality, House Republicans have prioritized a bill to make economic inequality worse on purpose. At a time in which much of Congress wants to make the deficit smaller, House Republicans have prioritized a bill to make the deficit much larger.

That's the part I don't get.  Secondly, I believe the estate tax was something pushed by Thomas Jefferson because he didn't want to create an elite class of aristocrats like England had.  It was part of this experiment to create a government of, by, and for the people in America.

4/17/2015 10:11 am  #4

I very much agree with the R-tribe on this one even though I don't come close to personally benefiting. Currently I believe one can exclude up to about $5 Million in their estate from being taxed. 

What I DON'T understand is why the R-tribe takes the political gamble of supporting this. It is not the case that the D-tribe doesn't have rich benefactors also. Why take the political risk (although I too agree with it but I am NOT a politician). 

I would MUCH rather see current loopholes of earners tightened than sock it to those people (actually their heirs) who have died. 

Last edited by tennyson (4/17/2015 10:12 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/17/2015 10:18 am  #5

Ok the way I understand the “Death Tax” That we currently have is if you have assets
of 5 million dollars and die your estate will be taxed at 40% before it goes to a descendant. The Federal government will take 40% because you died?
Can you say UNFAIR! 

Estate Taxes, Gas Taxes Seen as the Most "Unfair"
At the federal level, the estate tax is considered the least fair, receiving an unfairness ranking of 3.9 on a scale of one to five.
http://taxfoundation.org/article/poll-tax-code-complex-needs-reform-federal-incomes-taxes-too-high

Under current law, the estate tax, commonly referred to as the death tax, applies to the transfer of an estate at death to a descendant who is a citizen or resident of the United States. The estate tax liability is determined by subtracting certain deductions[1] from the total gross value of the estate.[2] Estate transfers with combined gross assets and prior taxable gifts exceeding $5,430,000 (the current amount of the “Unified Credit”)[3] are required to file an estate tax return with the IRS.[4] Estate tax liability in excess of $5,430,000 is generally subject to the highest marginal rate of 40 percent. H.R. 1105 repeals the estate tax effective on or after the date of enactment and provides for a specified transition period for assets placed in a qualified domestic trust by a decedent who died before the date of enactment.[5]Under current law, the generation-skipping transfer tax is a separate tax that can apply in addition to either the gift tax or the estate tax on gifts in which the beneficiary is more than one generation younger than the transferor. The tax rate and exemption amount for generation-skipping transfer tax purposes, however, are set by reference to the estate tax rules. The generation skipping transfer tax is currently imposed using a flat rate equal to the highest estate tax rate of 40 percent. The tax is imposed on cumulative generation-skipping transfers in excess of the generation-skipping transfer tax exemption amount in effect for the year of the transfer.[6] H.R. 1105 repeals the generation-skipping transfer taxes for transfers made on or after the date of enactment.Under current law, donors of lifetime gifts are provided an annual exclusion of $14,000 per donee in 2015 for gifts of present interests in property during the taxable year. If the non-donor spouse consents to split the gift with the donor spouse, then the annual exclusion is $28,000 per donee in 2015. In general, unlimited transfers between spouses are permitted without imposition of a gift tax.[7] H.R. 1105 does not amend the rules for determining the income tax basis of assets acquired by gift, but reduces the highest gift tax rate from 40 percent to 35 percent.[8]

http://www.gop.gov/bill/h-r-1105-the-death-tax-repeal-act-of-2015/

Last edited by Common Sense (4/17/2015 10:18 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/17/2015 11:09 am  #6

I am going along with the republicans on this. And for the sake of transparency, I am not anticipating inheriting a huge amount of money.

Money is taxed when you earn it, and when any money you invest earns interest, dividends, or capital gains.
By golly, that's enough bites at the apple. They shouldn't tax you again because you died.

Take care to tax fairly on earned and investment income during someone's life, and leave it at that.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/17/2015 12:26 pm  #7

I'm taking a different direction here and simply say we are taking another step toward plutocratic oligarchy by creating a super wealthy class of people who will never have to work a day in their lives and control the country.

4/17/2015 12:55 pm  #8

Just Fred wrote:

I'm taking a different direction here and simply say we are taking another step toward plutocratic oligarchy by creating a super wealthy class of people who will never have to work a day in their lives and control the country.

I guess first why is the government worried if someone never works a day in their life?
That is very odd? I do not understand it?

Should even the as you say the super wealthy have to give 40% of their estate to the
government for no other reason than their death?  

Maybe someone did not work for the money so you want to make an argument they
should not be able to pass it on to the family?

But on the other hand there are people who have work very hard their entire life. Someone who has worked 12 to 14 hours a day 6 days a week to build a business from nothing or a farm or whatever. It’s just plain wrong for the Federal government to say anything over 5 million we are going to take 40% off the top!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/17/2015 2:01 pm  #9

I don't think that repeal of the estate tax will create a super wealthy group of people.
We already have them, and they deploy armies of attorneys to get around this tax.
It accounts for about 0.6% of federal tax revenues.

My take, if you pay your taxes along the way, and your goal in life is to accumulate a fortune, god bless you.
If I want my kids to have a life of plenty, why is it anyone's business but my own?

If you are looking for ways to make a more fair society, I wouldn't waste my time on this.

Reductions in inequality can follow from a leveling in either direction — by elevating the poor or pushing down the wealthy. It is the plight of the poor that we most need to improve.

4/17/2015 3:51 pm  #10

My observation, Common, is this:

Since money controls politics and politics controls governmental decision-making, it seems to me by shoving more and more cash to the top, I foresee a time when the people that control government really won't need to be elected to office.  This has happened again and again and again throughout the course of history to nations and civilizations who believed they were God's chosen people or thought they were were greatest nation the world has ever seen.  Now, for many of them, the sun sets on them every night.

Board footera