The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2015 10:56 am  #1

One man's battle to go from fat to fit

We need a health posting area?

One man's battle to go from fat to fit

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/daniel-finney/2015/04/11/obesity-wellness/25654119/

I'm fat.Scratch that. I'm morbidly obese.This isn't being verbose. This is a medical diagnosis.I've ignored it for at least five years, probably longer.I ignored it after I was diagnosed as a Type II diabetic.I ignored it when the scales at the doctor's office could no longer measure my weight because my girth exceeded 500 pounds.I joke about being fat. We're supposed to be jolly, right?But I cringe when David Letterman, a comedic hero of mine, pokes fun at New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie because of his weight.It hurt more than I wanted to admit when some of the savages in our story commentary went after my weight when they didn't like one of my columns.I almost cried when the young son of a close friend called me "fatty" when I was visiting during Halloween.Still, I ignored it.Until December, that is, when I injured my back carrying in too many groceries at once. I figured the sharp, hot pain in my lower back would ease in a week or two.

Last edited by Common Sense (4/15/2015 10:57 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/15/2015 12:20 pm  #2

Re: One man's battle to go from fat to fit

The reason for posting this escapes me.  Is there a middle and an ending to this story?

4/16/2015 11:45 am  #3

flowergirl wrote:

The reason for posting this escapes me.  Is there a middle and an ending to this story?

Did you read the article? 

Obesity is an epidemic in our country. Here is a man willing to put himself out in public to describe the challenges that he and many people face.  Best wishes to Mr. Finney to achieve your weight loss.

"Editor's note: Register Metro Columnist Daniel P. Finney will share with readers his battle to shed weight and regain his health. Follow his journey through periodic columns, his ongoing blog Making Weight, on Twitter at @newsmanone[/url] and on Facebook at[url=https://www.facebook.com/newsmanone?fref=ts]facebook.com/newsmanone."

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/17/2015 11:56 am  #4

I'm so glad you shared this. I'm VERY inspired to follow his journey. I've not got nearly that amount of weight to lose but the fact is, it's a "there but for the grace of God" deal; I certainly have my share of the same issues.

Did you see his update at http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2015/04/14/making-weight/25741977/?

Joan
I'm just here for the party.

4/17/2015 12:40 pm  #5

jconcilio wrote:

I'm so glad you shared this. I'm VERY inspired to follow his journey. I've not got nearly that amount of weight to lose but the fact is, it's a "there but for the grace of God" deal; I certainly have my share of the same issues.

Did you see his update at http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2015/04/14/making-weight/25741977/?

Thanks for your post! Just finished it and loved it.

Weight loss can be a real challenge. If you are addicted to food or have
bad eating habits you can’t just say No more food! Each day is a battle
to try and stay within limits so you can maintain or lose. No easy task to accomplish!
As a society we spend Millions for that sure fix!

I plan on following Mr. Finney’s journey.

4/19/2015 12:16 am  #6

I've never gotten to the 200 pound mark,but I sure love to flirt with it. I'm short, so it doesn't take much to get very round. I was doing very well with the weight loss, but family issues drove me to the fridge. I guess at some point in my life, I looked at my siblings with their drug and alcohol issues, and chose something that wouldn't get me a criminal record. I settled on carbs as my addiction. I stress eat, and the stress is high lately. I mean, I can sit here and shovel food down my gullet, despite no enjoyment of the taste. I can eat until it hurts. How I'm not bigger is beyond me. Tonight I made spaghetti the same way I always make it. I spent my entire work shift plotting the spaghetti dinner. The cravings hit hard. I got home, got dinner ready and meh. I seem to always forget that I don't actually like the sauce much. I dump parmesan cheese on top and then remember after I'm finished that parm doesn't do much for me. Oh, but there was starch. *sigh*

On the plus side, I set the food aside and did my first 5K today. I didn't run. I waddled. But I did it. Many muscles ache tonight but I got it done, and hopefully I can use the good vibes I have as momentum to get back on track. I don't want to keep growing chins.

4/22/2015 1:29 pm  #7

Congrats on the 5k, Joey!

I finished my first 5k back in October of 2012, I was somewhere in the ballpark of 220 pounds. I ran the first half mile and then walked most of the rest of it. Finished in just over an hour, all of the other runners and most of the race organizers had already packed up and left. I was so proud of myself for just finishing that I only felt slightly embarrassed. It was definitely a "launching pad" experience. It got me into walking, and then cycling, and finally running.

Last month I ran a 7:55 mile, I don't remember cracking 8 minutes even in elementary and middle school. Last week I completed my first 4-mile run. I'm over 1/3 of the way to my goal of running 100 miles in 2015. My weight is pretty steady around 180 these days. I could stand to lose another 15-20 according to my doctor and if I keep running I figure it will happen eventually. I treat myself...a little too well sometimes...after my runs. But I figure that I can eat what I want so long as I do it after a good run.

It hasn't been easy. My right foot falls asleep every time I get up to around 2 miles and I still struggle with some asthma, although it is nothing like it was when I was heavier. I run in the dark, in the rain, in the snow, and sometimes it sucks in the moment but after every run I feel great. It's always worth the pain.

Best of luck to the gentleman in the article, and to all of you in your efforts to lead healthy lives!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4/22/2015 5:50 pm  #8

There are addictions of all sorts, shapes, and kinds. Eating can certainly be one of them and it is true that the US is on a bad track in that regards. Hopefully articles such as this will help those batteling with this particular addiction. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera