The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2018 8:16 am  #1

Ballot Access Just Got Easier in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania has always been one of those states where it was nearly impossible for an independent or third party candidate to get on the ballot, especially for major races like governor, senate, or the House.

A recent court ruling just made it easier for candidates not married to the D & R teams to run for office:

In a settlement approved by the federal courts, third parties will have easier time getting on Pennsylvania’s ballots.

Under the new guidelines, the number of petition signatures is capped at 5,000 signatures.  This is a large decrease from the old requirement that was set at 2% of the vote total of the top vote getter in the last general election.  

The settlement also ends the practice of having third parties pay for legal challenges to their petitions, which often cost in the thousands of dollars.  

Both the Green Party of Pennsylvania and Libertarian Party Senate candidate Dale Kerns hailed the decision.  

“This is a day that, not only our adversaries, but also our friends, never thought we’d see.  It also shows that folks of varied political views can come together for the betterment of all,” 2006 Green Party Senate candidate Carl Romanelli told the Associated Press.

“If I’m not spending months on end trying to fight to get on the ballot, well then we can spend all of our time campaigning and talking about the ideas with voters and debating with each other, so that the election is actually what it’s supposed to be,” Kerns said.  

The settlement does not apply to Congressional candidates though, meaning third party candidates would need to get enough signatures to match 2% of the districts winner in the last general election.

This is a win for the voters of PA. I loathe the Green Party, and the Libertarians are generally ineffective in the commonwealth, but anything we can do to get independents to run, I am in favor of. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/21/2018 8:42 am  #2

Re: Ballot Access Just Got Easier in Pennsylvania

I go back and forth on the idea of third and fourth or fifth parties offering candidates on the ballot.  As an independent voter myself, I sometimes think I would like to be able to vote in the primary elections first. If the votes get split among too many candidates, we could end up with someone getting 30 or 35% of the total votes getting elected.  At this point I'd like to see third or fourth party candidates working within the 2-party system to affect change within one of the 2 major parties.

If we had a parliamentary style of government, I could easily change my mind on this.

2/21/2018 10:58 am  #3

I agree about independents being able to vote in primaries. There is no reasonable, rational, or viable argument that can be made in a representative republic that would support the exclusion of lawfully registered voters from participating in any election—local, state, or federal.

2/21/2018 12:24 pm  #4

I agree with rongone on this and an independent voter like me, I'm assuming.  If either R or D candidate wants my vote, then tell me what you stand for, tell me what is important to you, and what policies you will promote.  Then I'll decide for myself who gets my vote, and if you win the election, I'll hold you to what you said to me during your campaign.

2/21/2018 10:17 pm  #5

Good news. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera