The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2018 2:13 pm  #1

Supreme Court allows Pennsylvania redistricting

Supreme Court allows Pennsylvania redistricting - AP

The Supreme Court will allow Pennsylvania congressional redistricting to proceed, denying the Republican plea to put the decision on hold.

The defendants - top Republican lawmakers - asked the U.S. Supreme Court to step in and put the decision on hold. They argued the state court's decision lacks clarity, precedent and respect for the constitution and would introduce chaos into the state's congressional races. 

Justice Samuel Alito, who handles emergency appeals from Pennsylvania, rejected the request from the GOP leaders and voters that the court put on hold an order from the state Supreme Court that could now produce new congressional districts in the coming two weeks.

Pennsylvania's congressional delegation has been 13-5 in favor of Republicans during the three election cycles since the GOP-drawn 2011 map took effect. Democrats have about 800,000 more registered voters than Republicans and hold all three statewide row offices, but Republicans hold solid majorities in both chambers of the Legislature.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court in January struck down the boundaries of the state's 18 congressional districts, granting a major victory to plaintiffs who had contended that they were unconstitutionally gerrymandered to benefit Republicans. The decision granted a major victory to plaintiffs who had contended that they were unconstitutionally gerrymandered to benefit Republicans.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court said the boundaries "clearly, plainly and palpably" violate the state's constitution, and blocked it from remaining in effect for the 2018 elections. The deadline to file paperwork to run in primaries for the seats is March 6. 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/05/2018 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Supreme Court allows Pennsylvania redistricting

I was pleased to hear of this decision. I have been writing my state legislators for about a year expressing my views in favor of an independent group to redraw the district lines in Pennsylvania. They are currently so blatantly defined by partisan politics gerrymandered in favor of the Republican Party that it looks like Jackson Pollack made up the map of congressional districts. Turzai and his buddies in Harrisburg need to sit down, shut up, and let fair districts be determined based solely upon population according to the census rather than registration with a particular political party.

I’m saying this based upon the fact that I am a registered Independent voter with no party affiliation.

2/05/2018 3:47 pm  #3

This is not good.

The PA Superior Court has imposed a nearly impossible to meet deadline and has in fact already retained an expert for drawing its own map.

Respected, non-partisan political analyst Terry Madonna has an excellent article in PennLive.com in which he calls "the solution worse than the problem" because the tight time frame essentially precludes any public hearings, testimony from candidates, etc.

So the map will be redrawn in either the smoke-filled back rooms of the Capitol or smoke filled Judges chambers.

Either way, the process stinks.

Life is an Orthros.

2/05/2018 4:04 pm  #4

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/05/2018 4:15 pm  #5

I agree with rongone's assessment and opinion.

2/06/2018 9:44 am  #6

About time to looks at this practice ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera