The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2018 1:47 pm  #1

New PC Is Sluggish

I just got a new HP computer.  I didn't need anything that does high-end graphics but my streaming and internet connection are high-speed (105mbps).

Whether I'm online or not, the movements of both my mouse and keyboard are noticeably slugging and choppy.  Not debilitating but enough to be annoying.

I encountered this problem with a Dell comuter before.  The problem was over a dozen scheduled tasks (added by Dell) were kicking off every time I started the computer and were using up an excessive amount of memory.

I checked the list of running tasks and, while there were still a large number of tasks scheduled, nothing was actually running at the time.

There are Flash games I play online that are now running much slower on this PC but work fine on the laptop.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of problem?

The best way I know how to describe it is there is a delay between when I use the keyboard or move the mouse, and things like Flash games or Netflix run slow or choppy.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

1/10/2018 2:55 pm  #2

Re: New PC Is Sluggish

Sorry, CT, my computer literacy is extremely limited.
Now, if you needed help with a Béarnaise sauce,,,,,,,,

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/10/2018 3:43 pm  #3

Or a Carbonara?

I haven't forgotten the recipie torture.  Lasted three months.  

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

1/10/2018 4:17 pm  #4

Three possibilities:

1) New PC may be running in "low power" mode  on the CPU due to inadequate cooling or a fault with the CPU thermal sensors  (most likely issue)

2) Inadequate RAM

3) Inadequate graphics card

Try PC Expert on PA 616 1 mile south of York New Salem.

Life is an Orthros.

1/19/2018 12:43 pm  #5

I agree with Tarnation - especially about the RAM. My daughter got a brand new laptop and I couldn't believe how slow it ran right out of the box. Checked the RAM - 2GB. No freaking way. You need a minimum of 4GB just for basic tasks, 8 is usually a much safer bet. But you'll have to find out how much RAM your computer can even handle.

I've also found that many newer machines come with the "fancy" visual effects turned on. I've seen *some* speed improvement when you set the machine to work on basic visual effects. That just means that when you maximize/minimize/move windows or open and close programs you won't get the "smooth" transitions that take up some of your processing power.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-visual-effects-windows

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Board footera