The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2017 12:21 pm  #1

Not-so-random thoughts for the Nativity

There is a hole in my heart this Christmas.
A black hole,
A chasm.
What Blaise Pascal called “a God-shaped vacuum”.

A hole that has been hollowed
By many hands
But chiefly by my own.

By the hands joined  to mouths
Who have called me “lazy” and
someone who
“just doesn’t get it”.

By the hands joined to heads
More “connected” to the quasi real world
Of pixels on a screen, “lkes”, and “friends”
Than to the flesh and blood around them,
even to those who share much of their DNA.

By the hands that at one time
Stroked and caressed
Before growing weary (and sick and tired
Of being sick and tired),

But it is I,  and I alone
Who have taken all these indifferences
And pondered them in my heart.

Eti kai eti....again and again.

Until there is a cavern...a soul of stalactites formed of frozen feelings.
A showcase of shame.
Pride in its most perverted permutation.

Pregnant for penetration by Divine condescension.

“The Virgin cometh today to the cave to give birth
Ineffably bringing forth the Word Eternal.
Therefore, rejoice O earth at the message
With the angels and shepherds give glory to Him
Who comes of His own free will as  a little Child
He Who is from eternity God”.

Life is an Orthros.

12/23/2017 1:48 pm  #2

Re: Not-so-random thoughts for the Nativity

Very powerful, Tarnation.
Thanks for sharing with us.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/23/2017 2:03 pm  #3

My heart is troubled. This will be the first Christmas that my father-in-law is not with us. It will be hard on his widow, and on my wife. Truth be told, I miss the old fellow much more than I thought I would.
Sitting by the tree tomorrow night at their farm, the memories will be hanging upon us. Sometimes so thick that we will have to brush them away from our faces.

Then there is the sorry state of the world.

My heart is troubled. I have seen politics consume, well, everything.

Tribalism has overshadowed the nation, until we have reached a point at which "Merry Christmas" has ceased to become an expression of love and good will. Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays, have become politically loaded  terms.

At best political slogans, and at worst, something to be wielded as weapons in the culture war.

My heart is troubled. Yet, children are returning home. The tree shines brightly. It''s doing it's part.
And I am looking forward to attending Mass Christmas morning in the little New Jersey church where my wife and I were married. Where my in laws renewed their vows about ten years ago. Where Dad's funeral mass was held in August.

Eventually all things come together.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Last edited by Goose (12/23/2017 3:09 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/23/2017 2:52 pm  #4

The conclusion of "Christmas" by Sir John Betjamin:

And is it true? and is it true?
The most tremendous tale of all,
Seen in a stained-glass window's hue,
A Baby in an ox's stall?
The Maker of the stars and sea
Become a Child on earth for me?

And is it true? For if it is,....

No love that in a family dwells,
No carolling in frosty air,
Nor all the steeple-shaking bells
Can with this single Truth compare -
That God was Man in Palestine
And lives to-day in Bread and Wine.

Life is an Orthros.

12/24/2017 8:39 am  #5

The passing of a close  relative always is a difficult path to transverse especially if it is one that you have shared wonderful connections with over the years. That sadness and grief can be magnified by current stressors as well and make it seem even more daunting. The grief will take time to heal and just being grateful that you DID have the person in your life for the time you had together will bring comfort to you as you can and will often remember the wonderful times you had together. 

May your Christmas be filled with the wonderful memories that you shared with your father-in-law. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera