The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2017 5:04 pm  #1

Thanksgiving Sides

I know that Turkey is - and should be - the star of the show.
But, what are your treasured side dishes?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/11/2017 10:18 pm  #2

Re: Thanksgiving Sides

• Bread stuffing/filling made with oysters and chestnuts
• Cranberry gelatin (chopped cranberries & oranges mixed into raspberry gelatin
• Pearl (or very small) onions in white cheese sauce
• Sweet potato stackers
• Cope's corn

Life is an Orthros.

11/11/2017 10:26 pm  #3

My mother (now seventeen years reposed) went all out with the baking for Thanksgiving, generally starting on Monday morning.  The year she reached her peak she made:
• pumpkin pie
• mince meat pie
• raisin pie
• black walnut cake
• pineapple upside down cake
• marachino cherry cake
• raisin/nut bread
• pumpkin bread
• lemon bread
Nowadays I just content myself with a Tastycake pumpkin pie.

Life is an Orthros.

11/12/2017 7:40 am  #4

My mom, and her mom as well always brought the Copes corn.
My mother in law will bring the pies.

Cornbread stuffing is always on the table.
I always do a winter squash. This year I toying with the idea of a squash lasagna.
We shall see.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/13/2017 9:49 am  #5

I usually cook my brussels sprouts with pancetta.
But Daughter #1 became a vegetarian, so I switched to this:

Ingredients

• 1 pint brussels sprouts (about a pound)
  • 4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Method

• 1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Put in garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • 2. Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until sprouts are quite brown and tender, about 1/2 hour.
  • 3. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in balsamic vinegar, and serve hot or warm.

Last edited by Goose (11/13/2017 3:23 pm)

11/14/2017 10:29 am  #6

For me, the second most important dish on the T-giving plate, after the turkey, is the mashed potatoes. 

They should be whipped until they are silky smooth, well peppered, with a hint of butter. It must be topped with giblet gravy.

And then from there, I like to keep things simple. A simple bread stuffing with sage sausage, fresh steamed green beans, and a nice roll w/ butter.

For dessert: Homemade pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream.

And of course, you have to have your triple play of appropriate Thanksgiving beers:

Pre-dinner/Football watchin' = Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Dinner = Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Saison
Dessert = Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

11/14/2017 10:57 am  #7

I got in trouble with the fam last year for making the green bean casserole "Too fancy".
Apparently you gotta use the canned onion rings and the Campbells cream of mushroom soup.

11/17/2017 6:42 am  #8

Red Wine Cranberry Sauce With Honey

MELISSA CLARK for the NYT

What does a chef in Napa Valley do to jazz up her cranberry sauce? Add wine, of course. This recipe was inspired by Cindy Pawlcyn, the Napa Valley chef and cookbook author, and includes smashed fresh ginger for extra verve. It’s more tart than most cranberry sauce recipes, so if you like yours sweeter, feel free to add more sugar or a little more honey.

INGREDIENTS
2 (12-ounce) packages fresh cranberries (6 cups)
1 ¾ cups dark brown sugar
1 cup dry red wine
3 tablespoons honey
4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices fresh gingerroot, smashed
 Pinch of kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

PREPARATION
In a medium pot over medium heat, combine the cranberries, sugar, red wine, 1/2 cup water, honey, ginger and salt. Simmer gently until most of the cranberries have popped and the sauce is thick and syrupy, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir in the black pepper. Chill thoroughly before serving.

11/20/2017 9:34 pm  #9

I don't take sides...I devour everything equally.  

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

11/21/2017 8:02 am  #10

A large number of people say that they actually prefer the sides to the turkey.
I certainly did as a child. Every year we would go to my aunt's house.
Big crowd, huge turkey.
In retrospect, dear old Aunt Donna really cooked the hell out of that bird.
Every cook is rightly concerned about serving an undercooked turkey and making their guests ill.
But, turkey is quite lean and does not shine when it is overcooked.

Use a thermometer!

Board footera